This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2426 / 52°14'33"N
Longitude: 0.1654 / 0°9'55"E
OS Eastings: 547945
OS Northings: 262697
OS Grid: TL479626
Mapcode National: GBR M89.6NR
Mapcode Global: VHHJX.TWBQ
Entry Name: Milton House
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127351
English Heritage Legacy ID: 50667
Location: Milton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB24
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Milton
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Milton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4662-4762 MILTON FEN ROAD
16/120 No. 28 (Milton House)
House. C17 with additions c.1768, by William Cole, (1714-1782),
Rector of Milton, (1770-82). Extension to north west c.1900.
Timber framed and plastered, C18 local brick, reused medieval
limestone. Plain tile roofs. Red brick ridge stack with four
grouped diagonal shafts, modern end stack to north west. Two
storeys and attics; original lobby entry three unit plan
rearranged by Cole with roof raised and added gallery and hall
and kitchem wing to north east. Main range extended by matching
bay c.1900 and replastered with rough cast panels. Garden
facade; four gabled dormer windows with casements c.1900, two
original C18 and one modern two storey canted bay windows with
eight- and twelve-paned hung sash windows with pattern glazing
bars in top lights of ground floor windows; eight-paned hung
sash windows between and half-glazed door. South east elevation
with C18 two storey bay window. Street elevation; main
entrance with C18 six-panelled door in moulded doorcase and
three C18 cross-framed casement windows with leaded lights;
brick gable of kitchen wing with carved medieval stones from
Archbishop Rotherham's Gateway (1480-1500) to the Old University
Schools and inscription COLE MILTON 1776 HOUSE DEUM. Interior.
Open string staircase with wall panelling following rake of
handrail, early C17 panelling on both floors said to have been
taken by Cole from The Halls, Haddenham, boxed ceiling beams,
C18 chimney pieces and panelled doors, C18 gault floor tiles.
(The beaufette in the kitchen, Cole's drawing, recently
Measured drawings by T. Faire 1980
Palmer, W.N. Wm Cole of Milton 1935 (including drawings by Cole
and C19 photographs)
R.C.H.M. (Cambs notes) 1963
Listing NGR: TL4794562697
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings