This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2637 / 52°15'49"N
Longitude: 0.1927 / 0°11'33"E
OS Eastings: 549737
OS Northings: 265099
OS Grid: TL497650
Mapcode National: GBR M84.1JR
Mapcode Global: VHHJY.9C7H
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127366
English Heritage Legacy ID: 50707
Location: Waterbeach, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB25
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Waterbeach
Built-Up Area: Waterbeach
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Waterbeach St John
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4865-4965 WATERBEACH STATION ROAD
12/161 CHURCH OF ST JOHN
Parish Church. Two arcade bays survive of small c.1200 aisled
church possibly with transepts, extended by one bay to west in
early C13 when tower arch and tower were added. South aisle
rebuilt and extended in C15, clerestorey C15 with battlements
dated 1616. Tower and spire rebuilt after collapse in 1821.
Chancel rebuilt in Early English style 1849 and enlarged 1878.
North aisle rebuilt and enlarged by W.M. Fawcett. Chancel
redecorated internally with marble 1879-80 from designs by
J. Ladds, diocesan architect. Walls of flint rubble and
limestone rendered with Barnack limestone and clunch dressings.
Lead roofs, plain tile chancel roof. North elevation; chancel
with paired two-light windows, gault brick plinth. North aisle
and clerestorey of three bays with C19 three-light, foiled
windows in four-centred arches, embattled parapet. Porch with
angle buttresses and reused C13 two-centred arched doorway with
label and head stops. Tower with embattled parapet and
buttresses of two stages. Interior. c.1200 arcade of two bays
with octagonal piers with carved leaf decoration to capitals.
Tower arch with similar details to west bay of arcade. Restored
lancet west window. Nave roof C19, king post; south aisle roof
C15, five bays with semi-octagonal shafts and moulded caps to
wall posts supported on carved stone corbels. Monuments, C19
floor slabs, and black marble slab inscibed Wm Stone. Dr in
Physick Fellow of College of Physitians in London 1679. Wall
monument black and white marble to Samuel Peach 1832 by Patent
works Westminster, glass, shields and symbols of passion C15
with inscription, 'Fragments collected and reset 1874 by WMF' in
windows of south aisle. Two C13 coffin fragments in external
wall. Clock purchased by church wardens 1746. Font and marble
pulpit late C19.
Builder, Sept. 1848
Fawcett drawings, originally at vicarage (1955)
Faculty books 1863-76 p. 156
Pevsner, Buildings of England p. 476
R.C.H.M. (Cambs notes) 1955
Clay, K.W. Hist of Waterbeach p. 36 1859
Masters, R. Hist of Waterbeach
Listing NGR: TL4973765099
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings