History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Fen Ditton, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.222 / 52°13'19"N

Longitude: 0.1687 / 0°10'7"E

OS Eastings: 548237

OS Northings: 260417

OS Grid: TL482604

Mapcode National: GBR M8H.MGQ

Mapcode Global: VHHK3.WD1Y

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 31 August 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127431

English Heritage Legacy ID: 50553

Location: Fen Ditton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB5

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Fen Ditton

Built-Up Area: Fen Ditton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Fen Ditton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Cambridge

Listing Text

TL 4860-4960 FEN DITTON CHURCH STREET
(West Side)

18/2 No.1 (The Old
31.8.62 Rectory)

GV II*


House, formerly the rectory. C16 and C17 with early C18
rebuilding and late C19 additions. Timber framed, C18 red brick
and C19 gault brick painted. Plain tile roofs. Central range
two storeys and attics, north cross wing of two storeys and
kitchen wing of one and two storeys, south wing two storeys.
South-east elevation. Main range of five 'bays' with end
stacks. Five, hipped, casement dormer windows. Deep wooden
modillioned eaves cornice, brick band between floors. Five
first floor casement windows with original wooden mullioned and
transomed frames. Four twelve-pane ground floor hung sash
windows, two to right hand with C18 glazing bars. Central door
with six fielded-panels and patterned oval fanlight, with modern
pediment supported by console brackets. Interior details to
main range early C18, includes two staircases and bolection
moulded panelling and door architraves. Exposed timber frame in
south wing of original jettied building. The original building
was possibly refronted and the main range widened during the
incumbancy of Dr Davis, Master of Queen's, and rector 1711-32.
R.C.H.M.: East Cambs p.57, mon. 4.


Listing NGR: TL4823760417

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.