This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5754 / 52°34'31"N
Longitude: -0.3852 / 0°23'6"W
OS Eastings: 509523
OS Northings: 298728
OS Grid: TL095987
Mapcode National: GBR GY5.KDV
Mapcode Global: WHGMC.1JTJ
Plus Code: 9C4XHJG7+4W
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 15 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127517
English Heritage Legacy ID: 50351
Location: Sutton, Peterborough, PE5
County: City of Peterborough
Civil Parish: Sutton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Peterborough St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
5141 SUTTON NENE WAY
Church of St Michael
TL 0998 48/559 15.12.55
Until 1851 the church was chapelry to Castor, confirmed to Peterborough Abbey
by Richard I and Henry III.
Small church of C12 origin. Restored 1867-8. Church is built of coursed
stone rubble and arches, with a Collyweston stone chancel roof and a lead
nave roof. Nave probably rebuilt in early Cl5 but retains early C12 chancel
arch. Nave walls raised late C15 with Perpendicular clerestory. Early Cl5
double chamfered north doorway and 3 late C15 north windows with 4 centred
arch heads. Early C13 west lancet window in slight projection and gabled
bellcote above with arched opening. Chancel rebuilt or enlarged in late
C12 and largely rebuilt in 1867-8 with C19 east window with plate tracery.
North wall of chancel has small ogee headed light of C14, and C15 square
headed window. Late C12 south aisle of 2 bays with square headed window with
2 ogee headed lights, and south doorway with zigzag and pellet ornament on
the soffit of the lintel with shoulder corbels at either end. C13 south chapel,
largely rebuilt 1867-8 has small reset lancet in east wall, and in south wall,
2 coupled lancets. East wall has C13 string with dog tooth ornament.
Interior: Norman chancel arch, the capitals have beaded interlace and arch
has flat rolls. Two bay south arcade of circa 1200 with double chamfered
round arches, circular pier, moulded capital and square abacus with recessed
angles. Early C12 south chapel with pointed double chamfered arch and semi
C19 furnishings. Possibly C14 font with panelled octagonal bowl with octagonal
central shaft surrounded by 8 smaller shafts. Recumbent lion sculpture, probably
Norman, possibly from a portal.
VCH Northants Vol II RCHM (1) page 750
Listing NGR: TL0952398728
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings