This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0846 / 52°5'4"N
Longitude: 0.0158 / 0°0'56"E
OS Eastings: 538218
OS Northings: 244833
OS Grid: TL382448
Mapcode National: GBR K7C.BSL
Mapcode Global: VHHKM.7V6T
Entry Name: Parish Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 18 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127546
English Heritage Legacy ID: 52254
Location: Melbourn, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Melbourn
Built-Up Area: Melbourn
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Melbourn
Church of England Diocese: Ely
MELBOURN STATION ROAD
(North east side)
Parish Church of
Parish Church. C13 chancel, nave and part of West Tower. Much altered in
C15 when West tower was almost completely rebuilt, clerestorey added and
chancel roof raised. Major restoration of 1882-3 by R.R. Rowe. Plan of West
Tower, nave and aisles, South porch, Chancel and North Vestry. West tower
mostly C15 although the tower arch is C13. Flint and pebblestone with clunch
dressings, mostly replaced by limestone. Of three stages with bell-stage,
embattled parapet, octagonal turrets at the corners and a needle spire.
There is a splayed plinth with frieze of flushwork and set-back buttresses.
West doorway has two centred ogee moulded arch in a square head with dagger
ornament to the spandrels. The west window is also contemporary of four
cinquefoil lights in two centred arch with intersecting tracery. Both window
and doorway are of clunch. Bell stage has in each wal , two, two-centred
arches to openings with transomes. Nave: Of similar flint and pebble stone,
embattled C15 clerestorey. Five windows to each side, restored, of
cinquefoil lights in four-centred head. The south porch was almost
completely restored c.1882-83. South chapel, early C14, with restored
fenestration. South wall of chancel has C13 lancet and C14 window with
decorated tracery. The East window is of clunch with flushwork to the
reveals. It is of four cinquefoil lights with four centred arch and vertical
tracery. Interior: C13 West tower arch reused when West tower rebuilt in
C15. Three hollow and one moulded order on a high base. Nave arcade of five
bays. Two centred arches, of two moulded orders, the outer roll moulding
keeled, the inner chamfered, on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and
holdwater bases. The roof is a C19 restoration. South chapel has two
vaulted niches, now vacant, on either side of the window in the East wall.
It originally contained a monument to William Ayloffe d.1691, erected by
Trinity Hall, Cambridge. The chancel arch was raised in the C15 when the
chancel roof was raised. The screen which incorporates some original work
was given by Thomas Hitch c.1508. The chancel roof is of c.1487 and this is
also the date of the nave clerestorey. The piscina is C13. Two openings,
each of two centred hollow and roll moulded arches with label and vine leaf
stop. To the side are a pair of aumbrys. There is another in the North wall
of the chancel. The wall monument to Dame Mary Hatton, wife of Sir John
Hatton is of black and white marble and is on the South wall of the chancel.
The font, probably C12 origin is octagonal and has C12 intersecting arcading
carved to one of the faces and recessed trefoils to the others. The stem is
R.C.H.M.: Record Card (1949)
V.C.H Cambs. Vol. VIII p.80
Pevsner Buildings of England p.439
Listing NGR: TL3821844833
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings