History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Orchard Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Melbourn, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0864 / 52°5'10"N

Longitude: 0.0116 / 0°0'41"E

OS Eastings: 537925

OS Northings: 245023

OS Grid: TL379450

Mapcode National: GBR K7C.3RY

Mapcode Global: VHHKM.4TZG

Entry Name: Orchard Cottage

Listing Date: 18 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127561

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52296

Location: Meldreth, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Meldreth

Built-Up Area: Melbourn

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Meldreth Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Melbourn

Listing Text

MELDRETH STATION ROAD
TL 3745
(North side)
23/243
No. 61 (Orchard
Cottage)
GV II


Cottage. Dated 1662. Small c.1800 pantry extension to north end. Timber
framed, plaster rendered and long straw thatch, half-hipped roof with ridge
stack of red brick upper courses originally on timber framed and plastered
stack (now replaced). A good example of three bay and lobby entry plan
cottage. One storey and attic. Two dormers with C19 casements. Two
casements on either side of doorway with boarded door to single bay pantry
addition to the north end, c.1800, probably when the cottage was sub
divided. Timber framed, rendered and thatched. One casement. Inside:
cottage retains many original details including the internal partition walls
at the service end and the staircase at the side of the stack. The framing
is similar to that of other cottages of late C17 with straight downward
bracing. Side purl in roof. Elm boarding to the floors. In the C19 there
was a blacksmiths forge adjoining the cottage. The lintel over the original
hearth was dated 1662. The lintel was deposited in a local museum following
a fire in 1959.

R.C.H.M: Record Card (1949)


Listing NGR: TL3792545023

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.