This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0858 / 52°5'8"N
Longitude: 0.0121 / 0°0'43"E
OS Eastings: 537958
OS Northings: 244954
OS Grid: TL379449
Mapcode National: GBR K7C.9VC
Mapcode Global: VHHKM.5T7Y
Entry Name: Sheene Manor
Listing Date: 18 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1128337
English Heritage Legacy ID: 52300
Location: Meldreth, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Meldreth
Built-Up Area: Melbourn
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Meldreth Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Ely
-ELDRETH STATION ROAD
No. 58 (Sheene
Manor house of several building periods. Probably of mid C16 origin but
extended and added to in C17 (1656 dated chimney stack). Refronted in C19.
Timber framed, plaster rendered and stucco rustication to corners. Tiled
roofs with C19 barge boarding except for c.1840 slates to a small addition.
The range to the west has a hipped roof. Two external side stacks on the
east side, one dated 1656 (now worn), and both of red brick with rectangular
shafts on a rectangular base. There is a similar stack to the south side of
the west range. Original plan of the house is of an east-west hall range
with service wing at rear. The hall range has been extended to the west, and
there are C18-19 outbuildings adjoining on the north. Two storeys and two
storeys and attic. The front has a two storey C19 porch in the re-entrant
angle. Gabled roof, with C19 bargeboarding. Doorway in C19 porch and above
an oriel window of similar date with reset stained glass, C17 of the arms of
Crouch impaling Pyke. Two storey bay window to right hand of front
elevation, each light with trefoil cusping to the head. The range of
outbuildings to the north are also timber framed and rendered with tiled and
asbestos roof. Red brick ridge stack. Small c.1840 addition to the north
east side of the house. Plastered walls and low pitch, slate roof. Doorway
with original architrave and panelled door. Walled garden, adjoins on east
side of house. Red brick, C17 with dentil cornice. The interior of the
house was not seen. The house is on a moated site. It is associated with
the carhusiaq priory at Sheene in Surrey, which acquired the manor in C15.
After the Dissolution the manor was sold to Sir Robert Chester of Royston.
Parts of the house are believed to be of this date. In 1648 the house was
brought by George Pyke of Baythorne (Essex). His grand daughter married John
Crouch. In 1810 the Manor house and Sheene Mill (q.v.) were sold to Joshua
Dr. W.M. Palmer: Cambs. and Hunts Arch. Society Autumn Excursion, 1922
V.C.H. Cambs. Vol.. VIII p.84
R.C.H.M.: Record Card
Listing NGR: TL3795844954
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings