History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clun Grange

A Grade II Listed Building in Melbourn, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0797 / 52°4'46"N

Longitude: 0.0131 / 0°0'47"E

OS Eastings: 538049

OS Northings: 244280

OS Grid: TL380442

Mapcode National: GBR K7C.Q39

Mapcode Global: VHHKM.5ZSL

Entry Name: Clun Grange

Listing Date: 18 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127572

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52212

Location: Melbourn, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Melbourn

Built-Up Area: Melbourn

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Melbourn

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Melbourn

Listing Text

MELBOURN HIGH STREET
TL 3844
(North west side)
24/161
No. 100 (Clun
Grange)
II


House. Late C16, c.1700 and C18-C19. Timber framed, plaster rendered.
Tiled roofs at several levels. Red brick ridge stack of grouped shafts with
string course. Two bays remain of a single range, late C16 house with lobby
entry on west side. The bay at north end was probably rebuilt c.1700. The
two bays of the late C16 part are of two storeys now, but the bay at the
south end was originally of one storey with a loft. Two C19 casements.
Doorway to centre bay. Bay at north end two storeys and attic. One c1700
cross-frame casement at first floor and a hung sash at ground floor. In
C18-C19 a small wing was added at the rear. Brick and timber frame with
tiled roof. Two storeys. Inside: Abuttiny red brick inglenook hearths, one
blocked. The late C16 house had a two bay hall with intermediate post
between the two bays. The framing is substantial in this part with jowled
main posts. The wall plate is chamfered. There is a smaller hearth in the
chamber over the hall and an original doorway opening leading to the room
over the bay at the south end. The tie beam is at a lower height suggesting
that originally this end had a single storey with a loft above. The roof was
raised probably C19 when the rear addition was made. The c.1700 bay has a
typical staggered ten-on purlin roof.

R.C.H.M. Record Card (1949)


Listing NGR: TL3804944280

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.