This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1129 / 52°6'46"N
Longitude: 0.0555 / 0°3'19"E
OS Eastings: 540849
OS Northings: 248052
OS Grid: TL408480
Mapcode National: GBR L8C.GVZ
Mapcode Global: VHHKM.X563
Entry Name: Home Farmhouse
Listing Date: 22 November 1967
Last Amended: 18 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127612
English Heritage Legacy ID: 52102
Location: Foxton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Foxton
Built-Up Area: Foxton
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Foxton St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4048 FOXTON THE GREEN
(South east side)
18/53 No. 2 (Home
22.11.67 Farmhouse) (formerly listed
as Stocks Farm)
House. 1555 for John Fuller enlarged c1660. Timber frame, partly exposed
and rendered, on brick plinth. Tiled roofs, with gablet to north east end.
Red brick ridye stack between front and rear ranges. Four diagonally set
grouped shafts on a square base. External stack to west end of front range.
Red brick with offsets. Two ranges forming an L-plan. Two storeys. Front
range jettied at first floor with jetty beam concealed by original moulded
fascia board. The joists are carried on shaped brackets. Three windows at
first floor, including an original opening with moulded mullion. The other
windows are small pane casements. Similar original windows were revealed
during recent (1984) building work, but these have now been concealed. The
framing at first floor is of close studding and uniform scantling. Similar
framing occurs in the gable of the west end of the range. The rear range is
also framed, rendered and tiled. Two storeys with the first floor jettied on
the west side. A fascia board with similar moulding and of similar date
obscures the jetty beam. No brackets were visible. Two storeys. Small
closet window openiny opposite the stack and two modern casements. At ground
floor one window with diamond mullions, posssibly reset, and a plank and
batten door C16-C17, with orignal iron furniture. Inside: Front range of
three bays. At ground floor there are two rooms divided by an original
framed partition wall. The ceiling is of close set, stop chamfered joists,
laid flat. There is an inglenook hearth. The smaller room at north end of
ground floor is lined with reset early C17 sunk panelling enriched with
foliate bosses and two pilasters with strap work decoration. Originally
there was a screen between this room and the rear range. This is obscured by
tile recent early C17 panelling on one side but is visible on the other side.
It is of plank and muntin type pegged to rails at ceiling and floor height.
There was also a doorway from the rear range to this smaller parlour. The
first floor was probably open to the roof. The partition wall is carried up
to the roof space. One chamber occupies two bays and has an arch braced tie
beam. The roof is of clasped side purlin construction with a pair of long
wind braces and Queen struts, all contemporary. The scantling of the timber
in the roof is consistent with that of the wall framing. They are heavier
and more uniform than in the rear range. At ground floor the rear range has
a ceiling of joists laid on edge and unmoulded main beams. There is an
inglenook hearth now blocked. At first floor the hearth has a lintel. The-
main posts have plain heads and the roof is of similar side purlin type with
straight wind braces but the roof framing is lighter in scantling.
Rowland Parker: The Common Stream
R.C.H.M.: Record Card (1950)
Listing NGR: TL4084948052
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings