This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.113 / 52°6'46"N
Longitude: 0.0549 / 0°3'17"E
OS Eastings: 540807
OS Northings: 248062
OS Grid: TL408480
Mapcode National: GBR L8C.GPG
Mapcode Global: VHHKM.W5W1
Entry Name: Cottage on the Green
Listing Date: 22 November 1967
Last Amended: 18 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127613
English Heritage Legacy ID: 52104
Location: Foxton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Foxton
Built-Up Area: Foxton
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Foxton St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4048 FOXTON THE GREEN
18/55 No. 4 (Cottage
on the Green)
Cottage. Possibly an open hall built 1501 for Richard Peppercorn, with floor
and stack inserted into hall and front wall repaired 1583. Timber framed,
plaster rendered and long straw thatched with ridge stack of red brick and
single flue. Three bay plan including a narrower bay for a buttery and
pantry at the north east behind the chimney stack. One storey and attic.
One gable dormer with horizontal sliding sash. Two flush frame horizontal
sliding sashes at ground floor. Doorway to lobby entry probably inserted
1583, now blocked. Doorway now in south end. Inside: The front wall of the
cottage has been rebuilt. The sole plate has peg holes on the lower edge
and, unlike the rear wall, rests on brick footings. The framing is of
substantial scantling, closely set and uniform. The parlour, at the south
end, has an original ceiling with some inserted timbers. The joists are laid
flat and unmoulded and there is a frame for a ladder staircase in one
corner. The partition wall between the parlour and hall is original and
rises through the attic storey. The hall has a c.1583 ceiling of closely set
joists, laid flat, with stop chamfers and a main beam with an ogee stop
chamfer. The joints are carried on a chamfered clamp which is nailed to the
middle rail of the partition wall. The inglenook has been cased. A
staircase possibly of 1583 cuts through the downward bracing of the central
truss and leads to the attic storey. The roof is of clasped side purlin
construction with some inserted timber. There is a single wind-brace
associated with the truss nearest the chimney.
Rowland Parker: The Cottage on the Green
R.C.H.M.: Record Card (1950)
Listing NGR: TL4080748062
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings