This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1007 / 52°6'2"N
Longitude: 0.2755 / 0°16'31"E
OS Eastings: 555957
OS Northings: 247152
OS Grid: TL559471
Mapcode National: GBR MB5.BGN
Mapcode Global: VHHKR.QGJF
Entry Name: Symonds House
Listing Date: 22 November 1967
Last Amended: 30 September 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127653
English Heritage Legacy ID: 52006
Location: Linton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Linton
Built-Up Area: Linton
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Linton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 5447 LINTON SYMONDS LANE
13/192 No. 44 (Symonds
22.11.67 House) (formerly
listed as Linton
Home for the aged, formerly the Union Workhouse. 1836, by Hallet and Newman
of London; contractor, Woolacott of London. Stables converted for new tramps
cells 1913 by Edwards and Walden. Red brick with flint side walls and red
brick dressings; internal walls of unfired clay bat bricks. Hipped low
pitched slate roofs. Mainly two storeys, with cellars. Cruciform plan with
blocks and linking ranges enclosing three courts. South-west main facade.
Central block with pedimented central section slightly projecting with
eliptical arched main entrance and similar arch to large window above,
pediment with roundel, and dentil brick eaves cornice repeated on two lower
'bays' to left and right hand each with two ground floor and two first floor
recessed twelve-paned hung sash windows in segmental brick arches.
Originally linking the centre block to mnain side ranges were lower single
storey ranges of three 'bays' with three round headed windows with glazing
bars; the range to the left hand is intact and to the right hand altered
with an inserted floor and windows. The side ranges each with two small
ground floor recessed twelve-paned hung sash windows in segmental arches have
a large eliptical arched three-light window above. Interior: plan altered
but still coherent with some original details surviving, these include
original doors with bolts, the details of the board room and chapel, and
Newcastle glass in original windows. The workhouse was built for 200 inmates
at a cost of £3,823.11.3d, a revised and less ambitious scheme; the flints
and some of the bricks were collected and made by paupers of the parish. The
brick walls and gates were completed in May 1837.
W.E.A. In and Out of the Workhouse. 1978
R.C.H.M. Report 1951
Pevsner Buildings of England p425
Plans Contract and Specification for Linton Union Workhouse. C.R.0.
Listing NGR: TL5595747152
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings