History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Bell Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Linton, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0977 / 52°5'51"N

Longitude: 0.2805 / 0°16'49"E

OS Eastings: 556304

OS Northings: 246824

OS Grid: TL563468

Mapcode National: GBR MB5.KQ9

Mapcode Global: VHHKR.TJ4S

Entry Name: The Bell Inn

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127671

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51951

Location: Linton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Linton

Built-Up Area: Linton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Linton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Bartlow

Listing Text

TL 5646 LINTON HIGH STREET
(North Side)

16/137 No. 95 (The Bell
22.11.67 Inn)

GV II


Restaurant formerly an inn. Mid C16 with C17 additions and later
alterations. Timber-framed rendered, and exposed; east yable partly
weatherboarded. Plastered plinth. Plain tile roofs. Red brick ridge stack
to left of centre. Two storeys with rear outshuts and stair turret, original
three unit plan with continuous jetty to main elevation. Five timber-framed
bays, close-studded with wide tension braces trenched behind studs and
nailed, exposed at first floor which formerly had bolection moulded plaster
panels (qv Nos. 79 and 81). Panelled door to main entrance approached by
steps recessed into C19 passage cut through chimney stack. Boarded door to
east in cross passage position. Two ground floor metal casement windows and
one oriel window to left of entrance. Three first floor casement windows
with C20 leaded lights. Interior: Original plan altered, service partition
removed and entry to staircase opposite stack sealed. Roll and hollow
chamfered moulding to floor joists. Some C17 carved panelling and frieze
panels, octagonal newel post to staircase. The inn has been called The Bell
from c.1670; 'Ms 48th Reg 1814' painted on a beam (Palmer).

Palmer, W.M. and Morley, Photographic Collection pl.27 1913, CC
Palmer, W.M. The Antiquities of Linton, pll 1913 CC
R.C.H.M. Report 1951
V.C.H. Vol. VI p83
Stevens, R.L. Linton, P.C.Pub. p55. 1983


Listing NGR: TL5630446824

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.