History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Linton, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0972 / 52°5'49"N

Longitude: 0.2794 / 0°16'45"E

OS Eastings: 556232

OS Northings: 246770

OS Grid: TL562467

Mapcode National: GBR MB5.KFP

Mapcode Global: VHHKR.SKK4

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127694

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51901

Location: Linton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Linton

Built-Up Area: Linton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Linton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Hildersham

Listing Text

TL 5646 LINTON CHURCH LANE
(South Side)

16/88 No. 3 (The Old
22.11.67 Vicarage)

GV II


House, formerly the vicarage. Late C17 with C18 and early and late C19
alterations and additions. Timber-framed and plastered, painted late C17 red
brick and C19 red brick. Plain tiled half hipped roofs. Side stacks to left
and right hand wings, rectangular planned ridge stack to left of centre. Two
storeys with attics and cellar. Half H-plan with later south-east rear wing
including the original staircase hall. Late C19 service wing and attached
outbuildings enclosing a small yard to left hand. North elevation:
symmetrical facade with openings altered c,1800, four-panelled door with
round headed fanlight in double recessed round headed brick arch. Four
ground floor recessed twelve-paned hung sash windows and four similar first
floor windows. Carved and moulded wooden eaves cornice, painted brick
plinth. Interior: details of late C17, deep cornice, two bolection moulded
chimney pieces at first floor; two-panelled doors some with additional C19
panels, fine closed string staircase rising in four straight flights to attic
with twisted balusters. Two plaster panels in west cross wing. Resited
early C17 panelling in study. C18 raised and fielded panelling with some C19
restoration. Wine vault and ice closet with original drainage channels in
cellar. The house was a school in the late C18; in 1873 it was known as
'Winchester Lodge' a boarding school for girls. In 1896 alterations to a
vicarage cost £1,266.

V.C.H. Vol. VI, p100
R.C.H.M. Report. 1951
Stevens, R.L. (unpublished records)
Millicent and Paris Maps 1600. Pembroke College
Plans for 1896 alterations C.R.0.


Listing NGR: TL5623246770

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.