History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Linton House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Linton, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0975 / 52°5'51"N

Longitude: 0.2787 / 0°16'43"E

OS Eastings: 556186

OS Northings: 246804

OS Grid: TL561468

Mapcode National: GBR MB5.K83

Mapcode Global: VHHKR.SJ6W

Plus Code: 9F4237XH+2F

Entry Name: Linton House

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1331158

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51969

Location: Linton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21

County: Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Linton

Built-Up Area: Linton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Linton St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in


(South Side)

16/155 No. 64 (Linton
22.11.67 House)

Large house, originally two separate buildings. Late C17 and c.1690 with
late C18 and late C19 alterations. Late C17 red brick with stone dressings,
C19 red brick and late C18 gault brick, late C18 stucco to west facade.
Plain tiled hipped roofs. Main building forming north-south U-plan range of
two storeys with attics and cellars, linked in C19 to earlier building
converted to a service wing of two storeys and attics with an original lobby
entry plan facing the street. West elevation: symmetrical wings with side
stacks, rusticated stone quoins, moulded wooden eaves cornice and cast iron
gutter with leopard masks. Half-glazed panelled-door approached by semi
circular stone steps, doorcase with stone pilasters and shell hood supported
on carved brackets. Four ground floor and four first floor eighteen-paned
slightly recessed hung sash windows with stone mask keystones (other
keystones mark blocked windows). Four flat roofed dormer windows. East
elevation; symmetrical five 'bays' faced in gault brick with stucco bands
between floors and below parapet. Main entrance in closed pedimented porch
with half-glazed panelled door. Four ground floor and four first floor
recessed twelve-paned hung sash windows. North elevation of early C17
nouse; seven 'bays' refronted in late C19 retaining the late C17 or early
C18 twelve-paned hung sash windows, a central blind window blocks the
original entrance; three dormer windows with flat roofs, tall rectangular
planned ridge stack. Interior: original late C17 bolection moulded
panelling to two rooms. C18 chimney pieces with marble surrounds, staircase
rebuilt using C18 turned balusters, barley-twist and flat balusters in attic
stair, C19 room partitions. The later house was built by John Lone (d.1700)
a whig lawyer. The west doorcase is said to have been introduced from Catley
Park (demolished c.1770 by Edmund Keen Bishop of Ely). The house remained
empty from 1851 - c.1880.

Palmer, M W The Antiquities of Linton, p13 1913
V.C.H. Vol. VI, p89
Stevens, R L Linton P.C. Pub. p36 1983
Pevsner. Buildings of England, p425
R.C.H.M. Report 1951
Cambridge Chronicle 17 Feb 1781

Listing NGR: TL5618646804

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.