This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1766 / 52°10'35"N
Longitude: 0.0971 / 0°5'49"E
OS Eastings: 543494
OS Northings: 255219
OS Grid: TL434552
Mapcode National: GBR L7N.FCN
Mapcode Global: VHHK8.MKQ9
Entry Name: Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127790
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51733
Location: Grantchester, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB3
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Grantchester
Built-Up Area: Grantchester
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Grantchester St Andrew and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4355 GRANTCHESTER MILL WAY
14/116 No. 61 (Old
31. 8.62 Vicarage)
House. c.1684 and mid C20 restorations. Brick ground floor, timber-framed
first floor, part replaced by brick, and original brick end walls. Painted.
Tiled roofs. Original end stacks of red brick, each with rebuilt upper
courses, a moulded brick cornice. The centre shaft is flanked by two
diagonally set shafts. Original plan of two principal rooms with single
storey kitchen to south end. Kitchen end altered C20 and now forms a
crosswing. Two storeys and attic with brick band between storeys. Front
wall had framing at first floor, replaced by brick probably in C19, and
original late C17 brick to ground floor. Two dormers. Two recessed twelve-
pane hung sashes at first floor. Original doorway probably to centre room,
now blocked, and one canted bay and twelve-pane hung sash. Present doorway
is to lobby entry. Early C19 flush panel door. Rear elevation has timber
framing, roughcast rendered at first floor. Three casements, with some
original fastenings and ironwork. The brick band is carried over an original
window opening now with a C19 canted bay. The kitchen wing was originally of
one storey and the roof was raised and first floor added in C20. In the
garden is a sundial made up from carved medieval ecclesiastical limestone,
probably Barnack and possibly originally part of a pinnacle. The upper part
of the sundial is in the form of an open book and is of Ketton stone.
Interior: Two original clunch fireplace surrounds at first floor, and
another one of brick in an attic. There are abutting hearths to one ground
floor room and the kitchen. The upper flights of both principal and service
staircases are original. This is the Old Vicarage referred to by Rupert
Brooke in his poetry. He moved there in 1910.
R.C.H.M West Cambs., mon.(4)
Rupert Brooke 1887-1915: Pamphlet
Christopher Hassall: Rupert Brooke - A Biography (Faber and Faber)
Sir Geoffrey Keynes (ed.): Letters of Rupert Brooke
E Willmer: Old Grantchester
Listing NGR: TL4349455219
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings