History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stables, Coach House and Service Block

A Grade II Listed Building in Stapleford, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1582 / 52°9'29"N

Longitude: 0.1823 / 0°10'56"E

OS Eastings: 549376

OS Northings: 253349

OS Grid: TL493533

Mapcode National: GBR M98.QWW

Mapcode Global: VHHKJ.30QV

Entry Name: Stables, Coach House and Service Block

Listing Date: 31 August 1962

Last Amended: 29 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127820

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51604

Location: Stapleford, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Stapleford

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Stapleford St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Cherry Hinton

Listing Text

TL 45 SE STAPLEFORD GOGMAGOG HILLS
Wandlebury
5/203
31.8.62
Stables, Coachhouse and
Service Block,
(formerly listed as Stable
Block at Gog Magog Hills)
GV
II


Coachhouses, stable and service block now dwelling-houses and
shop for Cambridge Preservation Trust, mid-late C18. Stone
dressings to sills. Parapetted, hipped roof of plain tiles
surmounted by octagonal cupola with clock, leaded. Four small
stacks. Plan of main range with two rear wings forming three
sides of a courtyard. Two storeys and attics. North side:
Round headed archway to carriageway entry in slightly
projecting, pedimented centre bay. On either side are four bays
each with a casement to each storey. South side: Centre block
in seven bays flanked by wings of three bays each. Small
recessed hung sashes of nine panes each on first floor and
larger hung sashes, probably C18, with thick glazing bars at
ground floor. The openings to the original loose boxes in the
wing to the west have been retained. A memorial to Godolphin
Arabian has been placed under the stable archway, mid C18. The
estate at Wandlebury was acquired by Francis, 2nd Earl of
Godolphin in 1734 and used principally as a racing
establishment. The house was demolished in the 1950's.


Listing NGR: TL4937653349

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.