This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1826 / 52°10'57"N
Longitude: 0.054 / 0°3'14"E
OS Eastings: 540528
OS Northings: 255808
OS Grid: TL405558
Mapcode National: GBR L7L.2H0
Mapcode Global: VHHK7.WDFN
Entry Name: Pryors Hold
Listing Date: 31 August 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127828
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51622
Location: Barton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Barton
Built-Up Area: Barton
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Barton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Ely
BARTON COMBERTON ROAD
TL 4055 (South Side)
31.8.82 No 7 (Pryors Hold)
House. c1600 and mid-C17. Small late C17 and C18 additions. Timber-framed, plastered
and part pargetted with raised geometrical design, late C17. Tiled roof and ridge stack,
C17, of red brick and four flues. Lobby-entry plan and three rooms, now enlarged by
C17 and C18 additions. Two storeys. Front wall had four casements at first floor, all
modern, but there is evidence in the wallplate for original window openings with diamond
mullions. Doorway in situ opposite the stack. Boarded door. Rear wall has a four-
light diamond mullions window to the room over the service end and a four-light ovolo
mullion to the chamber over the hall. A small jettied addition was made to the service
bay probably mid C17. Timber-framed, rendered and tiled. Two storeys with the jetty
carried on brackets. One casement at first floor and an iron casement with diamond
lazing bars at ground floor. There is a further addition on the front, right hand.
Probably late C17 or C18. Timber-framed, roughcast rendered and tiled. At the rear a
kitchen or bakehouse, possibly dating from the subdivision of the house. Inside: There
is some evidence that there was an earlier house on the site. One wallplate and some
timbers in a partition wall are all heavily sooted. The joists in the ceiling of the
centre room or hall and in the parlour are of heavy scantling, laid flat and unmoulded
and probably C15, whereas the main beam in the same room is of much lifter date. The
house was probably rebuilt c.1600 in five structural bays. The framing is exposed.
There are abutting inglenook hearths of red brick, one with herringbone pattern and
the chambers above are both heated. The roof is intact and is of clasped side purlin
construction with paired, cranked wind bracing. A doorway has been cut from tile service
end to the je.ttiedhddition. There are short braces to the tiebeams.
R.C.H.M West Cambs., iron.(4) .
Listing NGR: TL4052855808
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings