This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.147 / 52°8'49"N
Longitude: 0.1328 / 0°7'58"E
OS Eastings: 546032
OS Northings: 252002
OS Grid: TL460520
Mapcode National: GBR L82.BF0
Mapcode Global: VHHKH.892G
Entry Name: The Oak Cottage
Listing Date: 31 August 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127858
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51486
Location: Great Shelford, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Great Shelford
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Great Shelford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4652 GREAT SHELFORD HIGH STREET
(North West Side)
18/81 No 82 (The Oak Cottage)
House, mid-late C16 enlarged by addition of a service wing at
the rear in the late 1930s, but otherwise little altered.
Timber frame exposed with rendered infill with steeply pitched
plain tile roof with ridge stack. Plan of single range of four
bays with lobby entry. Two storeys with the first floor
jettied, the jetty beam carved with running folded leaf
ornament. No wall bracing or jetty brackets visible. Two
windows at first floor and three at ground floor, all C20 leaded
light casements. Doorway in original location opposite the
stack, but with C20 door. Interior: Narrower stair and
lobby-entry bay with service bay to right hand and two bay hall,
floored throughout, to left hand. Inglenook hearth. Stop
chamfered joists and main beams except for one boxed main beam.
Closed trusses between lobby entry and hall and service bay.
The framing is of substantial scantling with cranked bracing,
some removed. The tie beams are cambered. The roof is intact
and of clasped side purlin construction in four bays, also with
cranked wind bracing between principal rafters and the purlins.
The first floor chamber over the hall was probably open to the
roof at one time. There are remains of oak lathes nailed to the
soffits of the rafters.
R.C.H.M: record card
Listing NGR: TL4603252002
Other nearby listed buildings