This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1018 / 52°6'6"N
Longitude: 0.3547 / 0°21'16"E
OS Eastings: 561375
OS Northings: 247447
OS Grid: TL613474
Mapcode National: GBR NCM.6HC
Mapcode Global: VHJH8.3FCL
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 22 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127944
English Heritage Legacy ID: 51287
Location: Horseheath, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Horseheath
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Horseheath All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Ely
HORSEHEATH WEST WICKHAM ROAD
20/85 (North Side)
Church of All
Parish Church. C14 and C15. Restored 1829 and 1883 and later. Flint,
fieldstone and clunch and limestone dressings. Tiled roofs, leaded. West
tower, nave, south porch and chancel. West tower of four stages with later
stepped and embattled parapet. Main cornice with central gargoyles.
Restored C14 west window of two cinquefoil lights in two centred arch with
original moulded and head mask stops. Lancets to each side of first stage.
Bell stage openings are of two cinquefoil openings in two centred arch with
similar label. Aisleless nave, rebuilt later C15. Roof restored C18 and
again C19. Original gable end visible in east wall of tower. C18 embattled
parapet of red brick. North and south walls each have three transomed, three
cinquefoil light windows in four centred arches. One window in south wall
has modern commemorative glazing to Maud Borren. South porch much restored.
Inner arch of two continuous chamfered orders in two centred arch. Chancel,
restored in C14 style with reticulated tracery to the windows. Interior:
West tower arch has two chamfered orders in two centred arch, inner on half
octagonal respond with capital and base. Reconstructed late C15 roof in four
bays with moulded main beams and carved bosses at intersections. Blocked
rood loft stair openings north of chancel arch. Chancel arch also C14 with
similar chamfered orders in two centred arch but the inner order is on a
respond of half round shaft with moulded capital and base. Monuments: in
chancel on south side: Sir Giles Alinyton (d.1522) and his son Giles
(d.1586). Stone and marble two tiers each with one recumbent effigy. Each
tier is connected by short bulbous fluted columns. The superstructure has
been removed. North side Sir Giles Alington (d.1613) and Lady Dorothy
attributed to N. Johnson. Alabaster tomb chest with recumbent effigies and
reliefs of the children kneeling to the front. Intact back architecture.
North side of chancel: stone wall monument Dorothy Wakefield (d.1622);
William Elder 1709, marble wall monument.
Pevsner. Buildings of England p410
R.C.H.M. Record Card (1951)
V.C.H. Cambs., Vol. VI, p78
Listing NGR: TL6137547447
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings