History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Shudy Camps, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0744 / 52°4'27"N

Longitude: 0.3633 / 0°21'47"E

OS Eastings: 562059

OS Northings: 244411

OS Grid: TL620444

Mapcode National: GBR NCT.W3C

Mapcode Global: VHJHG.74W4

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127948

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51299

Location: Shudy Camps, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Shudy Camps

Built-Up Area: Shudy Camps

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Shudy Camps St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TL 6244
21/97 (East Side)
22.11.67 Church of St
Parish Church. C13 chancel, C14-C15 nave and west tower. Restored 1870-90.
Flint, fieldstone and clunch and limestone dressings. Tiled roofs. West
tower, aisleless nave. South porch and chancel. West tower of three stages
with C17 red brick embattlement. Main cornice with gargoyle and two stage
diagonal buttressing. West window of clunch. Two cinquefoil lights in two
centred arch and square head with figures in spandrel niches. Lancets to
first stage and two cinquefoil light bell stage openings. Nave: two C15,
windows, restored in south wall. Chancel, C13 origin, restored. South
doorway of two continuous chamfered orders in two centred arch. The
remaining windows in the chancel are C15, restored C19. The south porch has
C15 crownpost roof, the inner arch is two centred and of continuous ogee
moulded order in square head with foiled spandrels. Interior: two centred
tower arch of two chamfered orders. Four bay nave roof with ashlar pieces,
and arch braced collars and moulded ties. Restored. Two centred chancel
arch of two chamfered orders, the inner on half octagonal responds.
Monuments in chancel: south wall Mrs Elizabeth Dayrell (d.1768) by T Carter
(sgd); east wall Marmaduke Dayrell (d.1790) and Henrietta (d.1795);
Brownlow Dayrell (d.1773); north wall Francis Dayrell d.1760).

R.C.H.M. Record Card
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p456

Listing NGR: TL6205944411

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.