History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Shudy Camps, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0772 / 52°4'38"N

Longitude: 0.3676 / 0°22'3"E

OS Eastings: 562344

OS Northings: 244740

OS Grid: TL623447

Mapcode National: GBR NCT.PRX

Mapcode Global: VHJHG.B15X

Plus Code: 9F4239G9+V2

Entry Name: The Hall

Listing Date: 1 March 1983

Last Amended: 26 July 2002

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1331020

English Heritage Legacy ID: 51310

Location: Shudy Camps, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB21

County: Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Shudy Camps

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Shudy Camps St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Withersfield

Description

1612/21/108
26-JUL-02

SHUDY CAMPS
SHUDY CAMPS PARK
THE HALL
(Formerly listed as:
SHUDY CAMPS PARK
SHUDY CAMPS PARK
SHUDY CAMPS PARK)

GV
II

TL 6244
21/108
1.3.83

SHUDY CAMPS
SHUDY CAMPS PARK
Shudy Camps Park

II

Country house. 1696, 1702, late C18, C19 additions and interior
remodelling. Red brick, painted and part plastered; the joints being tuck
pointed and coloured black. Rebuilt or added parapet to tiled roof with end
parapets on kneelers. Original chimney stacks with modern pots. Late C17
main block extended 1702, flanked by late C18 wings. Later extensions of C18
and C19 at the rear include a domestic block. Two storeys and attic. Five
C19 gable dormers. Symmetrical facade of C19 paired twelve pane hung sashes
in raised surrounds of cement. Above the centre window and reset in the
string course at the bottom of the parapet is a carved stone with the arms of
Marmaduke Dayrell. Central doorway with early C19 stone porch. Clustered
riny shafted columns at the corners and half round arches to the lights.
Late C18 flanking arcaded wings to north and south. That on the north is in
three bays with semicircular headed arches to windows with iron glazing bars
and pivot lights, C19. That on the south has blind arcading and raised front
wall. Gabled east elevation with mid C19 labels to the windows. On the
south front the entrance to the domestic wing has flanking pilasters and
pediment. Interior: Remodelling in C19. Gothic arches lead to loggia at
the north end. Similar arches form a screen in the hall. Early C19 stick
baluster staircase. Butt purlin roof to main range and two rear wings.
Built for Sir Marmaduke Dayrell.

Dr W M Palmer: William Cole of Milton
Burkes Landed Gentry
R.C.H.M. Record Card (1949)
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p456
V.C.H. Cambs., Vol. VI, p51
Burkes and Savilles: Guide to Country Houses, p25
C.R.O.: c.1750 Estate Map

Listing NGR: TL6234444740

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.