History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St George

A Grade II* Listed Building in Thriplow, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1022 / 52°6'7"N

Longitude: 0.104 / 0°6'14"E

OS Eastings: 544205

OS Northings: 246956

OS Grid: TL442469

Mapcode National: GBR L8M.348

Mapcode Global: VHHKN.RFBB

Entry Name: Parish Church of St George

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128042

English Heritage Legacy ID: 53099

Location: Thriplow, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Thriplow

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Thriplow St George

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Fowlmere

Listing Text

TL 4446 THRIPLOW CHURCH STREET
(East Side)
14/280 Parish Church of
St George
22.11.67
II*
Parish Church. Some reused C12 material; central tower, north and south
transepts and chancel C13. Nave C15. South porch in 1742 (Cole) rebuilt
with vestry in C19. Restoration by Sir Gilbert Scott in 1876. Walls of
flint and pebble rubble with limestone and clunch dressings. Roofs of
slate. South elevation: Cruciform plan. Chancel refaced, with diagonal two
stage buttresses and parapet gable; restored C15 windows and C13 priest's
door. (internal remains of splays of original C13 windows). Crossing tower
of three stages, embattled with moulded string course stepped up below belfry
window of two-lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centre arch. Lead covered
spirelet possibly C15, and vice forming an irregular polygon to the west
corner of the tower. South transept with diagonal buttress and gable
parapet, (restored C13 lancet in east wall), south window modern with C14
shafted internal opening. Embattled nave of three buttressed bays; two
south windows similar to north windows, restored of three cinquefoil-lights
with vertical tracery in four centred heads. C19 south porch, restored C15
south doorway with moulded four-centred head label and jambs. Interior:
Tower arches; to nave, chancel and transepts, similar C13, two-centred with
three chamfered-orders with responds of two chamfered- and
hollow-chamfered-orders with moulded bases and capitals of clunch. C15 tower
door. Piscinae with square and round bowls in chamfered recess. C13 or
C14. Niche with canopy C15, wall painting on south jamb of lancet in east
wall of north transept. Font C12, large square bowl of Purbeck marble with
round headed arches in slight relief on sides supported on round shaft with
C19 outer pillars. Screen, C15 of three bays. Roofs C19 replacements.
Glass C15 at head of window in north have wall. Monuments: Two Purbeck
marble indents, one C15. Two coffins and coffin lid C13 with incised cross
with stepped base. In south transept; wall monument of classical design
with black painted columns supporting a frieze inscribed 'HERE LIETH THE
BODIE OF EDWARDE LUCAS OF BASSETS IN THRIPLOW ESQUIRE WHICH MARIED MARIE THE
ELDEST DAUGHTER OF SIR NICHOLAS HERON OF EDGCOM IN CROYDON IN THE COUNTY OF
SURREY KNIGHT. THIS EDWARDE LUCAS DEPARTED THIS LIFE THE XVII TH DAYS OF
IULYIE AND DOMINI 1601', between the columns recessed below two arches are
five figures of the family, above the entablature set in strapwork are the
family arms. North transept; white marble slab by Gilbert of Cambridge to
Mary Renovard d.1827, to John Perkins 1750 and Mary his wife 1746 pedimented
grey and black marble with cartouche of arms below. Floor slabs: in chancel
to Rev John Jenks 1849, to Katherine Ducfeilds (Whale) 1612: in north
transept to Ambrose Bening 1720 and Susannah Bening his wife 1711, to Ambrose
Bening 1819, to Mary Perkinse 1746, to George Clarke Bradbury Berry 1821: in
south transept, to John Perkins 1750, to Rev Wm Bening 1792, to Anne Bening
1716 and Ambrose Bening 1720 to C.S. daughter of Rev Butler Berry 1818, to
Mary Berry 1806, to Francis Gunning 1778, to Margaret Desborough 1799.
R.C.H.M. Report 1950
V.C.H. VI, p.246 "


Listing NGR: TL4420546956

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.