History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Oak House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hinxton, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0876 / 52°5'15"N

Longitude: 0.1798 / 0°10'47"E

OS Eastings: 549446

OS Northings: 245491

OS Grid: TL494454

Mapcode National: GBR MB7.498

Mapcode Global: VHHKQ.2SFJ

Entry Name: The Oak House

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128078

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52987

Location: Hinxton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB10

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Hinxton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Hinxton St Mary and St John

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Hinxton

Listing Text

TL 4845 HINXTON HIGH STREET
(West Side)
20/174 No. 105 (The Oak
22.11.67 House)
GV II*
Courthouse or woolhall converted in late C16 or later to domestic use,
restored c.1930, architect Col Elliot. Close-studded timber-frame with
plastered panels and C20 red brick nogging at ground floor. Plain tiled
roof. Ridge stack to right of centre, end stack to right hand and side stack
to rear rebuilt or partly rebuilt with dentil brick cornices. Two storeys
with inserted attic floors. Five original equal bays divided by closed truss
to two rooms at each floor with three bays to south rooms and two bays to
north, (rebuilding of west wall may be evidence for a wing or staircase).
Street elevation: Gable end jetty to left hand; main entrance in second bay
from south with plank door. Four ground floor and five first floor c.1930
iron casement windows with leaded lights. Interior: Double ogee-moulded
cross beams, defaced corbels to posts of main south room. Cambered tie beams
with hollow-chamfered solid braces and with octagonal crown posts braced to
collar purlin; plain crown posts and unmoulded tie beam to north room.
Paintings seen in south room 1951 not visible. C16 and C17 oak panelling
reset.
R.C.H.M. Report, 1951
V.C.H., Vol. VI, p221


Listing NGR: TL4944645491

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.