History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hinxton Watermill and Millers' Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Hinxton, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0855 / 52°5'7"N

Longitude: 0.1778 / 0°10'40"E

OS Eastings: 549313

OS Northings: 245249

OS Grid: TL493452

Mapcode National: GBR MB7.9R5

Mapcode Global: VHHKQ.1VB5

Entry Name: Hinxton Watermill and Millers' Cottage

Listing Date: 24 November 1977

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128084

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52999

Location: Hinxton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB10

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Hinxton

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Hinxton St Mary and St John

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Hinxton

Listing Text

TL 4845 HINXTON MILL LANE
20/186
24.11.77 Hinxton Watermill
and Miller's
Cottage
GV II
Watermill and attached cottage. Cottage C17 with additions c.1766 (dated
stack). Mill late C18 with C19 alterations. Timber-framed, plastered and
weatherboarded; C19 gault brick. Thatched, pantiled and corrugated iron
roofs. Buildings forming an L-plan. Mill to north west two storeys and
attic with added Day of two storeys linking north-south cottage range of one
storey and attics. North elevation: Original mill weatherboarded with brick
plinth. Loft door and boarded entrance door to left hand, double door to
right of centre to wheelhouse, and loft door and boarded entrance door to
extreme right. Two first floor and one ground floor twelve-paned hung sash
windows. Large hungy sash window with margin glazing bars in segmental brick
arch. Gable of cottage cased in brick with glazed door and large first floor
hung sash window. East elevation of cottage with plain tall red brick
stacks, to left and right hand, two ground floor twelve-paned hung sash
windows and two gabled dormer windows with casements. Interior: Original
undershot mill wheel removed c.1914 and a "Little Giant" turbine,
manufactured by J C Wilson & Co, Picton, Ontario (patented 1875) installed
driving three mill stones; a lay shaft provides motive power to a sack hoist
and water pump. Machine and corn bins shutes hoppers etc complete. The mill
was last used in 1950 and is now owned by the Cambridge Cottage Preservation
Society.
V.C.H., Vol. VI, p226


Listing NGR: TL4931345249

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.