History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn and Cottage to West of Number 9

A Grade II Listed Building in Fowlmere, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0907 / 52°5'26"N

Longitude: 0.0744 / 0°4'27"E

OS Eastings: 542210

OS Northings: 245627

OS Grid: TL422456

Mapcode National: GBR L8L.TWR

Mapcode Global: VHHKN.7QN3

Entry Name: Barn and Cottage to West of Number 9

Listing Date: 17 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128093

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52919

Location: Fowlmere, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Fowlmere

Built-Up Area: Fowlmere

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Fowlmere St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Fowlmere

Listing Text

TL 4245 FOWLMERE CHAPEL LANE
(North Side)
18/106 Barn and Cottage
to west of No. 9
(White Hall)
GV II
Cottage and barn altered as a school. Late C18 conversion of perhaps C17
barn with cottage added to east gable. Timber-framed, boarded at ground
floor and plastered first floor; plain tiled roofs. Two storeys with cellar
in left hand bay of barn. Cottage of one storey and attic. Two red brick
C18 chimney stacks to right and left hand, inserted window and one original
late C18 school window with glazing bars. Garage doors to right hand and
boarded door. Cottage with two C20 casement windows and glazed door, one
casement dormer window, stack to left hand. Interior: Barn of five
timber-framed bays with double side purlin roof, converted to a school with
inserted floors and later to a granary in mid C19. The school was
established in c.1780 by the Wedd family who were dissenters and educators;
in 1848 the property was purchased by Mr Stockbridge,a miller.
V.C.H., Vol. VI, p.164


Listing NGR: TL4221045627

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.