History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Duxford Mill

A Grade II Listed Building in Duxford, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0954 / 52°5'43"N

Longitude: 0.1631 / 0°9'47"E

OS Eastings: 548277

OS Northings: 246320

OS Grid: TL482463

Mapcode National: GBR MB1.L29

Mapcode Global: VHHKP.SL3K

Entry Name: Duxford Mill

Listing Date: 17 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128122

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52892

Location: Duxford, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Duxford

Built-Up Area: Duxford

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Duxford St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Duxford

Listing Text

TL 4846 DUXFORD MILL LANE:
(East Side)
16/62 Duxford Mill
GV II
Mill and mill house. C18 with early C19 rebuilding and later C19
modifications. Restored and converted to domestic use c.1946. Architect,
H.C. Hughes. Red C18 brick, C19 reused--stock brick, painted brick,
timber-framed and weatherboarded. Plain tiled mansard roofs and gable end
stacks. Long range, mill to south-east of two storeys and two storey attic
with single storey wheel house, and mill house of two storeys with attic.
North-east elevation: Main entrance to mill house blocked and first and attic
floors rebuilt; two entrances to left hand with glazed doors. Four ground
floor sixteen-paned hung sash windows in segmental brick arches and eight
first floor windows including three hung sash windows and four metal framed
casement windows. One fixed-light six-paned window replaces original sack
hoist opening and two dormer windows with casements. Carved brick 'R.C. ESQ'
near quoin to north-east of mill house. Interior: Internal frame of mill of
elm with some timber identification marks. Some surviving features; of mill in
attic floors; cast iron mill wheel with diameter of 18 feet and fitted in
1888 with four grinding stones removed c.1946. The mill site recorded in the
Doomesday survey, was owned by the de Colville family with Temple Manor in
1200, in 1230 the estate given to the Knight's Templars. Charles Kingsley, a


Listing NGR: TL4827746320

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.