History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Swithun

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Chishill, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.03 / 52°1'47"N

Longitude: 0.0716 / 0°4'17"E

OS Eastings: 542216

OS Northings: 238868

OS Grid: TL422388

Mapcode National: GBR L9C.LY4

Mapcode Global: VHHL1.677N

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Swithun

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128142

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52839

Location: Great and Little Chishill, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Great and Little Chishill

Built-Up Area: Great Chishill

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Find accommodation in
Great Chishall

Listing Text

TL4238 GT & LT CHISHILL BARLEY ROAD
(North side)
24/10 Parish Church of
St.Swithun
22.11.67
GV II*
Parish church. C13 nave and chancel wall. South nave arcade c.1275.
Chancel rebuilt c.1330, south aisle late C14 and clerestorey windows. North
nave arcade and clerestorey, north aisle, south porch and west; tower C15.
The tower collapsed in 1892 and was rebuilt 1897 when nave and aisles were
restored by F.E.Penrose. Early C20 vestry and organ chamber. Walls of flint
rubble with limestone and clunch dressings, lead and slated roofs.
South elevation: Tower, nave, aisle and porch with embattled parapets.
Tower of three stages with moulded plinth continuous around diagonal
buttresses of three stages. Chamfered string courses. One lancet light and
one two-light belfry window recessed in two-centred labelled arch. Four
clerestorey two-light trefoiled windows with flat arches, three aisle
windows, two cinquefoiled lights with mouchettes in spandrels of flat
arches. Two storey porch with floor removed. Archway of two-centred,
two-chamfered orders with semi octagonal responds with moulded caps and
bases. Two-light chamfered-mullioned window above. Chancel with steeply
pitched slated roof with diayonal buttress of two stages. Two restored
two-light trefoiled windows in two-centred labelled arches. and four-centred
arched priest's doorway. Interior: Nave arcades of four bays with
two-centred arches, south arcade with arches of two hollow-chamfered orders
on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases, north arcade with two
moulded orders, the outer continuous and the inner on piers with semi
octagonal shafts with moulded caps and bases. Tower arch of three-chamfered
orders with responds with moulded capitals and bases. Chancel arch
two-centred with light continuous outer chamfered order and inner chamfered
order springing from defaced carved corbels; north of the arch a deep
two-centred arched recess with an opening and four-centred arch. Organ
chamber opening in north wall, vestry with resited window c.1330. Nave roof
C15 of four bays with tie beams supported on wall-posts and curved braces
with traceried spandrels, king-posts and queen-posts to ridge and side
purlins. North and south aisle roofs with chamfered principal rafters and
purlin; foliate stops in south aisle. South porch C15 roof with rafters
laid flat. Carved lamp bracket above south door. Piscenae in south aisle
and north aisle. Font, late C14 octagonal bowl witn quatrefoil panels and
moulded soffit, plain octagonal to square stem. Glass C15 fragments in north
and south aisles. Inscriptions on tower arch from C15. Brass of a shield in
floor of tower, and four indents of figures with inscription plates.
Monuments: In chancel, to Hon.John Cooke d.1701 'High Sheriffe of This
County of Essex by especial appointment of King William'. . . White marble
inscription panel with scrolls, winged skull with cartouche oil arms above;
floor slab in sanctuary to Hon John Cooke d.1701, and Jane Cooke d.1681; in
tower, to George Brownest 1650; to Samuel Harris, citizen and brewer of
London d.1681. Organ, painted deal case with applied Rococo ornament early
C18.
RCHM report 1949
Pevsner. Buildings of England p.395


Listing NGR: TL4221638868

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.