History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Gransden, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1805 / 52°10'49"N

Longitude: -0.1422 / 0°8'31"W

OS Eastings: 527119

OS Northings: 255211

OS Grid: TL271552

Mapcode National: GBR J4P.6VQ

Mapcode Global: VHGMP.HG58

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 3 September 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128157

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52769

Location: Little Gransden, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG19

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Little Gransden

Built-Up Area: Little Gransden

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Little Gransden St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Gamlingay

Listing Text

LITTLE GRANSDEN CHURCH STREET
TL 25NE (East side)

1/106
The Old Rectory (No. 1)

II

House, formerly rectory. Two main building periods C16 and c.1840. Altered
1926. C16 house brick with gabled roof. Single east-west range. Two storeys
and attic. Extensions on both sides have meant that little of this house
remains. The principal facade was probably on the north side with a
cross-passage between the domestic and family part of the present house. In
c.1840 a large addition was made on the south for family and guests. Brick,
rendered. The roofs are of slate, gabled, and embattled in 1926. (see photo
of early C20 in possession of owners). In c.1840 the principal facade was
changed to the west side. Two storeys. Asymmetrical elevation in Tudor Gothic
style with casements with margin-lights in square heads with dripmoulds. The
gabled porch has a pointed outer arch. There is a loggia on the south side of
the house. Inside: A hearth with a moulded bressumer including part of a rose
remains as does a ceiling with stop chamfered main beam. Another main beam has
wave and hollow moulding. A room within the C16 range has raised and fielded
panelling, probably C18 with alterations of early C20. The c.1840 additions
were enriched with elaborate plaster ceiling in c.1926.

RCHM: West Cambs mon (4)


Listing NGR: TL2711955211

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.