This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1802 / 52°10'48"N
Longitude: -0.1427 / 0°8'33"W
OS Eastings: 527083
OS Northings: 255174
OS Grid: TL270551
Mapcode National: GBR J4P.6RJ
Mapcode Global: VHGMP.GGWJ
Entry Name: Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul
Listing Date: 22 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1317971
English Heritage Legacy ID: 52770
Location: Little Gransden, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG19
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Little Gransden
Built-Up Area: Little Gransden
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Little Gransden St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Ely
LITTLE GRANSDEN CHURCH STREET
TL 25NE (East side)
Church of Ss Peter
Parish church. Mid C13 and C14. Restored 1858 and 1885-8. Carstone and
rubble and fieldstone with clunch and limestone dressings. Slate and tiled
roofs. West tower, nave and north and south aisles, north porch and chancel.
West tower, C14-C15. Four stages with four stage diagonal buttressing with
cusping to gables of two upper stages. Embattled parapet with main cornice
having grotesque gargoyles to the corners. Newel staircase in south west
corner. West doorway in two centred, continuous moulded arch in square head
with restored dagger tracery to the spandrels and return label. West window of
three cinquefoil lights in two centred continuous moulded arch with vertical
tracery to the head. Bell stage has on each side an opening of two cinquefoil
lights in two centred hollow moulded arch with label. Nave, C13, and
clerestory added C14-C15. Four windows to each side with repaired lintels and
tiled reveals. There is a blocked parapet to the roof. The C14-C15 roof has
been rebuilt, probably C19, but the gable end remains at east end. South aisle
has a C13 lancet window in the west end and two restored windows of C14-C15 to
the south wall. The south doorway of clunch is probably C13. It has a two
centred arch of two chamfered orders. The chancel has two windows in the south
wall. One of C13, restored, has two uncusped lights with quatrefoil and the
other is C14 of two cinquefoil lights with quatrefoil and vertical tracery in
the head. The east window was restored c.1885 and is of three graduated
lancets. C14-C15 North doorway of four centred arch in square head with
continuous moulding and dagger tracery. Interior: C15 west tower arch. Two
centred and of two orders to east and west faces. Ogee and roll moulding on
responds with similar mouldings. Nave-arcade, C13, restored, of four bays.
Two centred arches of two chamfered orders on octagonal columns with moulded
capitals and bases. Screen, C15 but much restored. Six bays and two stages.
Ogee head and double cusping to side bays, with crocketting to upper stage and
the lower stage with central mullion and tracery in the head. Piscina in south
wall of chancel. Two bays each with trefoil cusping to two centred arches on
columns. Foiled drain. Chest, C16. Oak with original iron furniture. Font
C13. Limestone. Octagonal bowl on clunch stem.
RCHM: West Cambs mon (1)
VCH: Cambs Vol V
Pevsner: Building of England p428
Listing NGR: TL2708355174
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings