History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Longstowe, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1816 / 52°10'53"N

Longitude: -0.0845 / 0°5'4"W

OS Eastings: 531063

OS Northings: 255430

OS Grid: TL310554

Mapcode National: GBR K62.9G8

Mapcode Global: VHGMQ.HF6G

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128165

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52793

Location: Longstowe, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Longstowe

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Longstowe St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Kingston

Listing Text

LONGSTOWE SCHOOL LANE
TL 35NW (North side)

2/130
Church of St Mary
22.11.67
II*

Parish church. C14-C15 west tower, 1864-65 rebuild of nave, chancel, south
porch and vestry under the supervision of W M Fawcett. Carstone, limestone
rubble and fieldstone with some limestone and clunch dressings. Plain tiled
roofs with crested ridge tiles. West tower of three stages, embattled parapets
on plinth with four stage diagonal buttressing. Restored fenestration includes
west window of three cinquefoil lights in four centred arch. Bell stage has
two cinquefoil openings of clunch in four centred arch. The nave, of
fieldstone with Ketton limestone dressings, has two light windows with
quatrefoils in two centred arches. The south porch, gabled, has a two centred
outer arch, moulded with two engaged shafts with stiff-leaf foliage to the
capitals to each respond. The chancel has three lancet windows to the south
wall and three graduated lancets to the east window. Interior: Two centred
tower arch of two orders. Wave moulded outer order and ogee moulded inner
order on engaged shafts with moulded capital and base. Patterned brickwork to
nave and chancel. Crown post roof in three bays to nave. 1863-4 north chapel
has reset wall monument of Sir Ralph Bovey 1679, white marble semi domed niche
with flanking enriched scrolls on a gadrooned shelf with winged cherubs and
cartouche. In the recess half effigy of deceased rising from the sea and
reaching for anchor of wood proffered by a hand from the clouds; Antony Cage
1603 and Dorothy, his wife, clunch and alabaster with recumbent effigies and
miniatures of ten children in relief to the base.

RCHM: West Cambs mon (1)
Pevsner: Buildings of England p433


Listing NGR: TL3106355430

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.