This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1839 / 52°11'2"N
Longitude: -0.088 / 0°5'16"W
OS Eastings: 530812
OS Northings: 255688
OS Grid: TL308556
Mapcode National: GBR K62.2JQ
Mapcode Global: VHGMQ.FC9M
Entry Name: Longstowe Hall
Listing Date: 3 September 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164129
English Heritage Legacy ID: 52786
Location: Longstowe, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Longstowe
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Longstowe St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Ely
LONGSTOWE OLD NORTH ROAD
TL 35NW (West side)
Mansion house. Late C16 origin remodelled and much rebuilt in late C19 and
early C20. The early C20 alterations and additions are by Sir John W Simpson.
Red brick and stone dressings. Plain tiled roofs with stacks reproducing those
of late C16 or early C17 with octagonal shafts with moulded brickwork and
projecting, linked cappings. Original E-plan of late C16 house with principal
front to north west, altered in late C19 and again in early C20 when the ranges
to the south east were added and a new principal front created on the south
east side. North west facade in two storeys and attics. Three centre gables
contain or incorporate some brickwork in the lower courses from the earlier
house. Late C19 central porch of three storeys with shaped gable and Ketton
limestone surrounds to cross frame casements flanked by obelisks. Central
fluted Doric portico late C19, spanning the three central window bays. Ketton
limestone. Balustraded on high plinths. Round headed rusticated arch to
central doorway. The pediments to a number of the remaining windows on the
north west front reproduce those of the original house. The north east front
has a four stage stair turret with open sided top stage, leaded polygonal roof
with weathervane. Lead rainwater heads and down pipes to this part of the
house have the initials ADB and the date 1912. A doorway in a four centred
arch has a fanlight with a depressed ogee arch with finial. The fenestration
is hung sashes with sheet glass. South east front of long narrow red brick,
Flemish bond. Two storeys and attics. Two dormers. Four gable facade and
central porch of Ketton limestone. Round headed outer arch with egg and dart
continuous moulding flanked by Jacobean style pilaster supporting an
entablature and balustrade. Panelled double doors in round headed arch.
Interior contains some reset main beams of C15 and C16, and the north
west-south east roof has C16 principal rafters and purlins morticed flush to
them, and cambered collars. A wing adjoining this main range has a roof, C16
with stop chamfered principals with the purlins morticed to them. A number of
ground floor rooms contain a large amount of continental wood carvings. The
original house is said to have been built by Anthony Cage, d.1603. It was
bought in 1857 by the Stanleys who drastically altered it c.1880. From
1897-1914 the house was again much altered and extended by Mr Briscoe with
Sir John W Simpson as architect.
Burkes and Savills: Guide to Country Houses
RCHM: West Cambs mon (2)
Pevsner: Buildings of England p433
VCH: Cambs vol V
Listing NGR: TL3081255688
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings