History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Gamlingay, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1553 / 52°9'19"N

Longitude: -0.1878 / 0°11'15"W

OS Eastings: 524074

OS Northings: 252331

OS Grid: TL240523

Mapcode National: GBR J4T.TLF

Mapcode Global: VHGMV.P3L2

Entry Name: Church Farmhouse

Listing Date: 3 September 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128177

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52715

Location: Gamlingay, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG19

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Gamlingay

Built-Up Area: Gamlingay

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Gamlingay St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Gamlingay

Listing Text

GAHLINGAY CHURCH STREET
TL 2452 (North side)

12/51
No 61 (Church
Farmhouse)

GV II

House. Mid C16 and late C17 or early C18. Altered particularly on the front
in C19-C20. Timber framed, part roughcast rendered and part white brick
casing. Plain tiles to original steeply pitched roof. Internal stack
inserted to rear pitch. Two bay C16 range extended in late C16 by two bays at
the west end. Two storeys. First floor originally jettied, (the soffit of
the bressummer is visible above the doorway) with the joists cogged to the
bressummer. Two first floor, flush frame sixteen pane hung sashes, C19. Two
ground floor windows on either side of doorway, deeply recessed in the
original ground floor wall. On the west late C17-early C18 range. Timber
framed, roughcast rendered west gable end and white brick casing to front
wall. Steeply pitched plain tiled roof and gault brick ridge stack, square on
plan. One storey and attic. Two gable dormers. Two C19 windows. There are
later lean-tos and outshuts at the rear. Interior: Wall framing of
substantial scantling visible at first floor and wind braced side purlin roof.
The two bays to the east were a single room into which the stack was inserted
in C17-C18. The ceiling has intersecting main beams one of which is partly
obscured by the inserted inglenooks. The main beams are stop chamfered. The
joists are of substantial scantling and are laid flat. They are unmoulded.
It would seem that the two bays at the east end formed part of a larger
building. Possibly they were a solar wing to a hall house, the hall of which
was rebuilt at the west end in late C17 or early C18. However its location
near the church may indicate a special purpose building.

RCHM: West Cambs mon (14)


Listing NGR: TL2407452331

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.