This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1552 / 52°9'18"N
Longitude: -0.1901 / 0°11'24"W
OS Eastings: 523912
OS Northings: 252318
OS Grid: TL239523
Mapcode National: GBR J4T.SWH
Mapcode Global: VHGMV.N3B3
Entry Name: Almhouses
Listing Date: 22 November 1967
Last Amended: 3 September 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1128179
English Heritage Legacy ID: 52721
Location: Gamlingay, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG19
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Gamlingay
Built-Up Area: Gamlingay
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Gamlingay St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Ely
GAMLINGAY CHURCH STREET
TL 2352 (South side)
No 42-60 (evens) Almshouses
22.11.67 (formerly listed as
Terrace of ten almshouses. 1665. Red brick, Flemish bond. Tiled roof, end
parapets on kneelers and deep overhang at eaves with moulded wood cornice.
Five symmetrically disposed and shared red brick ridge stacks. Plan of one
room at ground floor with a kitchen at the rear forming one side of a small
enclosed yard. Two storeys with plat band between the storeys returned round
the gable ends and to the rear wall. The centre has a tablet with a shield of
arms above flanked by two upright oval windows with moulded brick architraves.
The tablet is inscribed VIVAT obi NATUS JOHANNES JACOB Miles Barotus ANo DONi
1665. At first floor, alternation of one three-light and one single light
casement, with repaired leading but some original glass. The single light
casements which light the staircases, have elliptical arches with raised
impost and keyblocks. At ground floor each cottage has a doorway under gauged
brick arch and a two panelled door with a fanlight divided by a mullion, and a
three-light cross-frame leaded light casement under a similar flat arch. At
the rear each cottage has a segmental arch to an enlarged opening. The
enclosed yards are bounded by single storey kitchen, now with modern tiles and
wood cladding, but retaining red brick in the end wall which is continued as
the back yard wall to the almshouses. On the front is a brickwall which is
1665 in origin. Red brick, part repaired. Inside, each cottage has an
exposed stop chamfered main beam and a newel staircase. The almshouses were
built with an endowment from Sir John Jacob.
RCHM: West Cambs mon (21)
Pevsner: Buildings of England p391
VCH: Cambs Vol V
Listing NGR: TL2391252318
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings