History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rectory Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Whaddon, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1007 / 52°6'2"N

Longitude: -0.0272 / 0°1'37"W

OS Eastings: 535222

OS Northings: 246547

OS Grid: TL352465

Mapcode National: GBR K73.CXX

Mapcode Global: VHGN4.GGZF

Plus Code: 9C4X4X2F+74

Entry Name: Rectory Farmhouse

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128193

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52656

Location: Whaddon, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Whaddon

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Whaddon St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in


(West Side)

9/247 No. 32
22.11.67 (Rectory Farmhouse)


Farmhouse. Early C14; with late C15 or early C16 additions; further
alterations and additions c.1633, and late C18 and C19. Timber-framed and
roughcast rendered; plain tiled and slated roofs. Two symmetrical red brick
ridge stacks each with four diagonal shafts. Two storeys with sunken dairy
and single storey additions to west. Original aisled open hall c.1340 of two
bays with cross-wings added to east and west projecting on north elevation
with a jettied two storey gabled porch to main entrance. Late C18 and C19
infilling between the wings. Early C17 alterations include two inserted
stacks with staircases and hall floor. North Elevation: Central porch
flanked to left hand by two storey parapetted infill and to right hand by an
outshut extended across the gable of the west cross-wing with a reduced side
stack. Three first floor and one ground floor three-light casement windows,
one ground floor twenty-paned hung sash window with one similar sixteen-paned
first floor window; small Gothic window beside porch. Interior: Exposed
floor frames, clunch fireplaces with four-centred arches and moulded jambs,
one dated '1633 RW HI' in first floor room; staircases to south of each
stack, to west with flat balusters to east with turned balusters and with
newel post and finial. Inserted C17 partitions with 3-plank doors with
moulded recessed central panel arid cross pieces, some original hinges. Smoke
blackened rafters to one bay of hall roof; octagonal crown post with cap
chamfered from octagonal to square and with straight braces to collar purlin
and collars. Cambered tiebeam with deep arched braces and with soffit
mouldings concealed by partition. Normal assembly to north, but with arcade
plate 'clasped' to south with evidence for bracing of an aisle. Splayed scarf
with under-squinted and sallied abutments. The rectory house was recorded in
1359, St George's Chapel Windsor was granted the advowson in 1351 and possibly
also claimed the rectory. The farmhouse is situated within a moated site.

V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.146
R.C.H.M. Report 1949

Listing NGR: TL3522246547

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.