History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Morden Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Guilden Morden, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.079 / 52°4'44"N

Longitude: -0.1267 / 0°7'36"W

OS Eastings: 528468

OS Northings: 243953

OS Grid: TL284439

Mapcode National: GBR J5V.QR8

Mapcode Global: VHGN8.R0CJ

Entry Name: Morden Hall

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128236

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52555

Location: Guilden Morden, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Guilden Morden

Built-Up Area: Guilden Morden

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Guilden Morden St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Ashwell

Listing Text

TL 2843 GUILDEN MORDEN TRAP ROAD
(North-east side)
18/196
No 31 (Morden Hall)
22.11.67
II*

Farmhouse, formerly a manor house. Medieval origins with late C15 or early
C16 alterations and additions, late C17 or early C18 addition and C19 and C20
alterations. The building is noted for its late C15 or early C16 roof.
Clunch ground storey, timber framed and roughcast rendered, and painted brick.
Plain tiled roofs. Late C17 or later red brick rear side stack with gault
brick capping, gault brick side stack to central gable of west elevation and
side stack to right hand gable with offsets and upper courses rebuilt. Two
storeys and attics. C15, L-shaped plan with clunch ground storey abuts to the
north the remaining part of an earlier timber framed open hall, possibly
originally aisled. Early C16 remodelling of west front with late C17 or early
C18 kitchen added in angle to south-west. West elevation: Main north-south
ranges with lower roof to south; three west facing gables, southern gable
asymmetric, two northern gables jettied and flanking main entrance to cross
passage. Panelled entrance door with studded, moulded rails and muntins;
rectangular fanlight with latticed leaded lights. The fascias to the jetties
are both moulded, the norther jetty has a carved ribband ornament. The
projecting two storey oratory or guarderobe to the east elevation has similar
carving to the barge boards and roll-moulded rafter ends. In the south
elevation is a two cinque-foiled-light window with a later doorway insertion,
originally unglazed the window is rebated for shutters. Interior: The
exposed timber-frame shows clearly the different building periods. Smoke
blackened rafters possibly reset from a C14 crown post roof to the north is
over laid by a later C15 or early C16 loft; two southern bays of this roof
have an elaborate display truss with cross braces halved into each other, and
two collars, the lower collar braced to the principal rafters and the upper
collar with braced queen struts; the roof is ceiled below the collars and has
a roll-moulded cornice. At ground floor the substantial floor frame has
deeply chamfered floor joists with housed soffit tenons. The central ground
floor west room has moulded wall plates; the eastern rooms have plain
chamfered ceiling beams. The entry from the cross passage to the rear passage
has a wooden door head with a four-centred hollow-chamfered arch. The door to
the first floor oratory has moulded planks and is shaped to a four-centred
hollow-chamfered arch with carved spandrels in a moulded frame. The chimney
pieces and open hearths are altered; one small C19 first floor chimney piece;
C19 staircases and other details. The original manor house was destroyed
during the peasant uprising of 1381, it is probable that the hall was rebuilt
shortly after and extended in the C15 by the Haseldens. Thomas Hayes
refurbished the house in c.1620, it was used as a farmhouse from the C18.

RCHM reports 1950, 1977
VCH Vol VIII p100


Listing NGR: TL2846843953

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.