This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0676 / 52°4'3"N
Longitude: -0.0905 / 0°5'25"W
OS Eastings: 530984
OS Northings: 242747
OS Grid: TL309427
Mapcode National: GBR K7F.7YB
Mapcode Global: VHGN9.D909
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Catherine
Listing Date: 22 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1128238
English Heritage Legacy ID: 52559
Location: Litlington, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Litlington
Built-Up Area: Litlington
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Litlington St Catherine
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 3042 LITLINGTON CHURCH STREET
23/153 (South Side)
22.11.67 Patish church of
Parish church. C12 chancel with north and south walls remaining. Early C13
tower and chapel added to north of nave with double arcaded entrance. Early
C14 north and south aisles. Third stage to tower and clerestorey to chancel
and windows to south aisle c.1500. North nave chapel demolished at some time
and vestry built on site by Dr W Webb, vicar, c.1840. Repairs c.1807 and
complete restoration in 1870 by Vialls of London. Tower and walls repaired
c.1950. Walls of flint rubble with clunch and limestone dressings. Lead
covered roofs. South elevation: Tower of three stages with moulded plinth
and embattled parapet, ground storey lancet window and belfry window of two
cinquefoil lights in a two-centre arch. Plain parapet to nave with four two
cinquefoil light windows and one eastern single light window. South porch
largely rebuilt with two-centred arch, south doorway with two-centred arch of
two wave-moulded orders. Four restored windows of three cinquefoil lights in
four-centred arches. Chancel clerestorey with three single light windows; one
original lancet, one C14 window with two trefoiled-lights and one late C13
trefoiled light window with one large c.1500 window of three cinque-foiled
lights. Priests's door restored with chamfered four-centred arched head.
Interior: Nave arcades of five bays, two bays of north arcade c.1300 with
two-centred arches and with two hollow chamfered orders, moulded label to nave
terminates with head stops, (on second pier a woman with triangular head
dress). The three arches to the west and the arcade of the south aisle are
early C14 with two-centred arches of two main orders with carved head stops to
nave label, and quatrefoil piers with moulded caps and bases. Tower arch,
two-centred of two chamfered orders with labels towards the nave and chamfered
square responds and semi octagonal tapering responds. Roof of chancel, six
bays with moulded tie beams; late C15 or C16 bosses fixed to intersections of
modern nave timbers; aisle roofs of five bays. Font, C15 with square bowl and
moulded sides with carved angels at each corner supported on octagonal stem.
Three inscriptions on windows and pier refer to Francis Drake (RCHM). C14
piscenae and small cupboard in chancel, and in south aisle. Pulpit and
screen, C15. Monuments: Wall tablet in north aisle to six members of North
family 1790-1828 and oval tablet to Thos Dickason d.1824. In tower, marble
cartouche to Roger Stoughton A.D. MDCXC.
RCHM Report 1950
VCH Vol VIII p.65
Ireland, M. DeC. History of Abington Piggotts with Litlington
Listing NGR: TL3098442747
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings