History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Screen Wall and Outbuildings and Two Boundary Walls with Former Entrance to Stable Yard, to North and West of House

A Grade II Listed Building in Guilden Morden, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0258 / 52°1'32"N

Longitude: -0.1139 / 0°6'49"W

OS Eastings: 529504

OS Northings: 238056

OS Grid: TL295380

Mapcode National: GBR K7S.VDM

Mapcode Global: VHGNG.ZB5V

Entry Name: Screen Wall and Outbuildings and Two Boundary Walls with Former Entrance to Stable Yard, to North and West of House

Listing Date: 4 September 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128267

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52536

Location: Guilden Morden, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG7

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Guilden Morden

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Guilden Morden St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Ashwell

Listing Text

TL 23 NE GUILDEN MORDEN ICKNIELD WAY
(North-west side)
7/131 Screen wall and
outbuildings and two
boundary walls with
former entrance to
stable yard, to
north and west of
Odsey House

GV II

Screen wall and outbuildings, and boundary walls and former entrance to stable
yard, enclosing an open courtyard to north-west and south-west of Odsey House.
Circa 1730, possibly for the Third Duke of Devonshire. Red brick and gauged
brick dressings. Screen wall to north-west linking former kitchen with stable
range; outbuildings attached to rear possibly include game larders and an ice
house. Wall of seven unequal bays divided by small brick pilasters, moulded
string course with recessed panels above and moulded cornice; two segmental
headed archways with brick imposts and keyblock, central archway with
segmental pedimented limestone sundial above, incised with Roman numerals; two
hung sash windows to right hand. Boundary walls between stable and coach
house with rusticated gate piers now reduced with C20 ball finials; opening
recently blocked; wall beyond coach house and stable block to south-east
terminates in a plain pier. The walls may have been ornamented by urns with
finials and lion masks similar to those flanking the entrance to Odsey,
Guilden Morden, not in situ and possibly to a design by William Kent listed
in Hertfordshire.

RCHM Report 1950.


Listing NGR: TL2950438056

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.