History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Range and Office North West of Stable Yard to Odsey Grange

A Grade II Listed Building in Guilden Morden, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0256 / 52°1'32"N

Longitude: -0.1142 / 0°6'50"W

OS Eastings: 529484

OS Northings: 238035

OS Grid: TL294380

Mapcode National: GBR K7S.VB4

Mapcode Global: VHGNG.ZC00

Entry Name: Stable Range and Office North West of Stable Yard to Odsey Grange

Listing Date: 4 September 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128268

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52538

Location: Guilden Morden, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG7

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Guilden Morden

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Guilden Morden St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Ashwell

Listing Text

TL 23 NE GUILDEN MORDEN ICKNIELD WAY
(North-west side)

7/133 Stable range and
office to north-west
of stable yard to
Odsey Grange

GV II

Stable range and offices, formerly stables with first floor accommodation.
Circa 1705, altered in C19 and C20. Local red brick; plain tiled hipped roof
with saw tooth brick eaves cornice and three rebuilt ridge stacks. Two
storeys, long south-west, north-east range bounding one side of the original
stable yard. Blocked segmental headed archway to left hand with inserted
six-panelled door; two archways partly reconstructed with double boarded
doors; seven ground floor C20 casement windows and one early C18 casement
window with leaded lights and wooden lintel. Seven first floor twenty-paned
hung sash windows with near flush-frames. Interior: the first floor
accommodation was possibly intended for jockeys and grooms; ground floor
fittings C19 with C20 garage. C20 office conversion to right hand. The
stables were part of the racing establishment owned by the Second and Third
Dukes of Devonshire, the jockey house now Odsey Grange and stables were
possibly those 'newly erected for race-horses' by Thos. Fountaine and
John Duckett of Lincoln's Inn before 1705 and the sale of the property to
Robert Chester.

RCHM Report 1950
Fordham, G: The Hundred and Manor of Odsey
VCH Vol VIII p97


Listing NGR: TL2948438035

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.