History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Corner Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Shepreth, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1124 / 52°6'44"N

Longitude: 0.0328 / 0°1'58"E

OS Eastings: 539299

OS Northings: 247954

OS Grid: TL392479

Mapcode National: GBR L8B.H43

Mapcode Global: VHHKM.J57H

Entry Name: Corner Cottage

Listing Date: 18 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128324

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52362

Location: Shepreth, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Shepreth

Built-Up Area: Shepreth

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Shepreth All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Shepreth

Listing Text

SHEPRETH FOWLMERE ROAD
TL 3947
21/310
No. 2 (Corner
Cottage)
GV II


Cottage, sub-divided in early C19, and now a single dwelling. Early-mid C18,
extended. Clay bat on flint plinth, with plaster rendered walls and long
straw thatch roof, hipped. Ridge stack of clay bat except for upper
which are grey brick. Original cottage of two bays, extended to north west
and south east. Two storeys. Three original wood frame casements with
leaded lights and original casement fastenings at first floor. Two at ground
floor and two boarded doors. The enlargements are of late C18 or early C19.
Clay bat, plaster rendered and thatched. Inside: The flint plinth of the
original yable end wall to the north west is visible between the two ground
floor rooms. There are abutting small fireplaces of clay bat now partly
sealed, but the size would suggest a later reconstruction. There is an
original framed partition wall associated with the staircase at the side of
the stack. It seems that the cottage originated as one dwelling, was
converted in early C19 to two, and is now one. The small abutting hearths
and the doors would suggest a c.1800 date. The roof structure which is
uniform in scantling, and the evidence of the 1764 Estate Map points to the
early-mid C18 date.

1764 Estate Map: C.R.O.
R.C.H.M: Record Card (1949)

Listing NGR: TL3929947954

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.