This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1125 / 52°6'45"N
Longitude: 0.0321 / 0°1'55"E
OS Eastings: 539246
OS Northings: 247967
OS Grid: TL392479
Mapcode National: GBR L8B.GY9
Mapcode Global: VHHKM.H5TD
Entry Name: Docwras Manor
Listing Date: 22 November 1967
Last Amended: 18 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1128332
English Heritage Legacy ID: 52389
Location: Shepreth, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Shepreth
Built-Up Area: Shepreth
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Shepreth All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Ely
SHEPRETH MELDRETH ROAD
(North west side)
21/335 No. 2 (Docwra's
22.11.67 listed as
Manor house. Three train building periods. The kitchen wing is C16, the two
parallel front ranges are of two dates, the front is late C17 and the rear
addition is early C18. The front was remodelled in c.1743. Timber framed,
rendered, except for the facade which is of patterned red and burnt
brickwork. Parapetted, tiled roofs with wood modillion eaves cornice. Large
red brick stack between front and rear ranges. Each of the two front ranges
has an external red brick stack at the east end with offsets and tumbled
brickwork. The house now forms an L-plan. Two storeys and attic. Five
window range of original flush frame, twelve pane hung sashes with ovolo
moulded glazing bars in segmental arches. The centre bay is composed of a
Palladian window at first floor with ornamental fret pattern to the
semi-circular head and a modillion cornice and below the doorway with
rusticated surround and doorcase of Roman Doric half columns and entablature,
with enriched modillion cornice. Inside: The C16 kitchen range is in three
bays. The framing is exposed in part. The timbers are of substantial
scantling with arch braced tie beams, and unmoulded floor joists laid flat.
There are Queen struts to the roof trusses. The framing in this part of the
house is similar to that of the stables and outbuilding (q.v.), near the
road. The range to the road is also timber framed, but the framing is not
exposed. The plan of three rooms would suggest a late C17 date. One ground
floor room has mid C18 raised and fielded panelling in two heights. The late
C17 flat section balustrade from the staircase has been reset in the back
staircase. The present principal staircase dates from the c.1743 remodelling
of the facade. It is closed string and has a baluster of column-on- vase
type. The range parallel and adjoining this front range is probably slightly
later, mid C18. The framing is not visible. At first floor it has one hung
sash with arched top panes. The roofs of both ranges have similar purlins of
slender scantling. Docwra's Manor was acquired in 1743 by Joseph Woodham.
An estate map of 1764 shows the plan of the house much as it is now.
V.C.H. Cambs. Vol. V p.255.
Pevsner: Burlings of England p.455
C.R.O.: 1764 Estate Map
R.C.H.M.: Record Card (1949)
Listing NGR: TL3924647967
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings