History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Malton Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Orwell, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1161 / 52°6'57"N

Longitude: 0.0043 / 0°0'15"E

OS Eastings: 537334

OS Northings: 248310

OS Grid: TL373483

Mapcode National: GBR K6Z.7X1

Mapcode Global: VHHKM.124N

Entry Name: Malton Farmhouse

Listing Date: 26 October 1982

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128354

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52341

Location: Orwell, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, SG8

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Orwell

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Orwell St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Shepreth

Listing Text

ORWELL MALTON LANE
TL 34 NE
7/290
Malton Farmhouse
26.10.82
GV II*


House. C15 open hall and north east crosswing. Early C16 alterations
include the insertion of a ceiling into the open-hall, the addition of a
chimney in the south east side, the raising of the roof over the hall and
possibly the addition of the south west crosswing. The pantiled range on the
south east side is of C17-C18 origin remodelled in C19. The medieval and C16
parts have C19 fenestration. Timber frame, plaster rendered and tiled roof
with early red brick chimney stack to south east side of the hall. Later
stacks to crosswing and south east range. Original C15 plan of hall with
north east crosswing, C16 plan of double end hall house and the present plan
is of two parallel adjoining ranges with a valley gutter between two roofs.
C15 house of two storeys. Three flush frame hung sashes of sixteen panes
each at first floor. Two other C19 and later windows at ground floor. Two
doorways with C19 narrow hoods on shaped brackets. The doorway to north east
end opens to former cross passage between hall and crosswing. North East
crosswing of two storeys with first floor possibly jettied originally. The
original roof is intact but the C16 raised roof of the hall range has been
built over parts of that of the crosswing. Two bays and part of a bay. One
sixteen pane hung sash at first floor. South west crosswing also of two
storeys with the first floor possibly originally jettied at both ends. Part
of the roof at the North west end was incorporated in the roof raise of the
hall. The south east range-has C19 gault brick casing to an earlier addition
to the C15 house. C19 house slated, with end stacks. Two storeys and
attic. Range of four recessed sixteen pane hung sashes with larger similar
windows at ground floor and nine pane hung sashes to the attic. Interior:
Open-hall in two bays with early C16 roof incorporating smoke blackened
rafters from C15 house, Roof raised probably at same time as floor
inserted. South east wall of hall has framing exposed in part to show the
original plate of the open hall. The contemporary North east crosswing is
also at lower eaves and ridge height. c.1510 inserted floor has roll
moulding and leaf stops to joists and main beams. Soft red brick to side
stack inserted probably at same time. Now with early C18 fireplace, reset.
A partition wall between the cross-passage and the hall has been removed. It
was probably on the site of the original screen. At first floor the
thickened head of one of the principal posts associated with display truss
remains. North east crosswing, at ground floor has parts of two three
centred arches, adjacent, leading from cross-passage to service rooms. These
were originally divided by a partition wall. Heavy joists unmoulded and laid
flat in the ceiling of this room. Present staircase to first floor chamber
possibly on site of original. Arch bracing, now removed, to cambered central
tie beam with chamfered crown-post. The rafters of the original roof are
intact. At south east end, now concealed by later addition, is a four light
diamond mullion window. The south west crosswing has short arch bracing to a
tie beam visible at the south east end. The roof is of clasped side purlin
construction. The south range, parallel to the medieval house is of
uncertain date. The ground floor rooms have intersecting main beams, now
boxed. The house is near a moated site, and is the only building remaining
from the former village of Malton. It was probably built for William Horn
(d.1469) or his son. It was acquired by Lady Margaret Beaufort and given by
her to Christ's College, Cambridge in 1505-6. Building work was carried out
there under the terms of her Will.

R.C.H.M. West Cambs. Mon. (24)


Listing NGR: TL3733448310

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.