This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3192 / 52°19'8"N
Longitude: -0.0405 / 0°2'25"W
OS Eastings: 533658
OS Northings: 270814
OS Grid: TL336708
Mapcode National: GBR K4D.GLM
Mapcode Global: VHGLZ.7ZZ0
Entry Name: Parish Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 30 May 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1128422
English Heritage Legacy ID: 54049
Location: Holywell-cum-Needingworth, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE27
Civil Parish: Holywell-cum-Needingworth
Built-Up Area: Holywell
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Holywell St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Ely
HOLYWELL-CUM-NEEDINGWORTH HOLYWELL FRONT
Parish Church -
TL 37 SW 7/34 30.5.58 St John the Baptist
Parish Church. Nave, chancel and north aisle C13, south aisle circa 1300. West
tower added in 1547 by the mason Thomas Roper. South porch dates from the 1862
restoration. Tower restored in 1915, vestry rebuilt in 1919. Built of stone and
pebble-rubble with Barnack stone and some reused material in tower, possibly from
Ramsey Abbey. Roofs of plain tiles and slate. Tower of three stages with moulded
plinth and embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles at angles. Octagonal angle
buttresses become diagonal above first stage. West doorway, early C16 square-headed
arch with moulded, shafted jambs and quatrefoils in spandrels. West window, square-
headed arch with three trefoiled lights. Three reused C14 windows of two trefoiled
lights in belfry. Nave clerestory ,has a range of three early C16 windows of two
cinquefoil lights. Early C14 doorway to south aisle with jambs and two-centred arch
of two hollow, chamfered orders, moulded label and damaged head-stops. Chancel has
two original lancet-light windows with moulded labels and mask stops. East window by
Nicholson inserted in 1931.
Interior: North nave arcade of three bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered
orders with moulded label, octagonal piers, moulded capitals and bases. Similar but
later three-bay arcade to south. Tower arch rebuilt, two-centred outer orders richly
moulded with bosses and rosettes in hollows. Chancel arch, two-centred with semi-
octagonal responds, early C14. Roofs modern, only two of the eight carved figures
circa 1500 recorded by RCHM 1926 can be seen attached to the chancel screen. Locker
and piscina in chancel C13, font on late C13 octagonal stem with four round shafts.
Modern chancel screen by Allens of Brampton, designed by Inskip Ladds.
(RCHM Huntingdonshire p 140).
(Inskip-Ladds Records, Norris Museum, St Ives).
Listing NGR: TL3365870814
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings