This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5555 / 51°33'19"N
Longitude: -2.5277 / 2°31'39"W
OS Eastings: 363512
OS Northings: 184200
OS Grid: ST635842
Mapcode National: GBR JT.F8WL
Mapcode Global: VH889.45KD
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 21 October 1952
Last Amended: 5 December 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1128866
English Heritage Legacy ID: 35122
Location: Almondsbury, South Gloucestershire, BS32
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Almondsbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Almondsbury and Olveston
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 68 SW ALMONDSBURY GAUNT'S EARTHCOTT LANE (south
side) Gaunt's Earthcott
21.10.52 The Manor House (formerly listed
G.V. as Manor Farmhouse)
Farmhouse, now restaurant and house. C16 core, dated also 1603 on front gable,
south block dated TS/1680, with later alterations and additions. Coursed
rubble with stone dressings, double Roman tiled roof with pantiles to rear, ball
finials to gables except 2 east gables to front. L-plan with additions.
2 storeys and attic, 3 irregular gables to front, 3 windows, 2 ground and two 1st
floor, C19 12-pane sashes in exposed boxes with drip moulds to left gable, all
others 2 and 3-light casements under timber lintels, attic window to left gable
with drip mould, right gable has plank door with strap hinges in plain wooden
frame, large external stack above, 2-storey porch between 2 gables to left has
3-light casement with cornice at ist floor, opening with timber lintel and small
square window at ground level, 2-panelled door in heavy frame, scroll and ovolo
moulding and strap hinges; east side has 4-light casement at ground floor,
3-light at 1st and 2-light in attic, all with timber lintel, buttress to left
and garderobe tower to right, west side has 2 gables, right has oval bull's eye
in plain surround at ground floor, sundial at upper level and gable stack, left
gable has 2 ground floor andtwoist floor C19 12-pane sashes with timber lintel,
drip mould and bearing arch to all except 1st floor right, which is 3-light
casement with drip mould. Rear has 2 gables, both with gable stacks, random
one and 2-light casements, C20 door to centre, single storey additions to left
and centre, both with double Roman tiled pitched roofs. Interior: Through
passage, stair turret at rear with dog-leg stair with ovolo-moulded newel post,
string and handrail, moulded and stopped beams and door-frames. (Sources:
Hall, Linda : Rural Houses of North Avon and South Gloucestershire 1400-1720.
Listing NGR: ST6351284200
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings