This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5901 / 51°35'24"N
Longitude: -2.5251 / 2°31'30"W
OS Eastings: 363719
OS Northings: 188048
OS Grid: ST637880
Mapcode National: GBR JT.C3JP
Mapcode Global: VH883.59YC
Entry Name: Street Farmhouse
Listing Date: 21 October 1952
Last Amended: 5 December 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1128883
English Heritage Legacy ID: 35164
Location: Alveston, South Gloucestershire, BS35
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Alveston
Built-Up Area: Alveston
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Alveston and Littleton-on-Severn with Elberton
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 68 NW ALVESTON THE STREET (north side)
8/68 Street Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Dated 1638 with initials AE and WE, with later alterations.
Rubble, roughcast,-pantiled roofs with gable stacks and central stack with
diagonal chimneys. T-plan, through passage. 2 storeys and attic with gable
front of cross wing to left and lower service wing to east of 2 storeys has
1:1:1 windows, -all 2, 3 and 4-light casements, with angled dripstones to ground
floor left, blocked 1st floor stair window has angled dripstone remaining, porch
to left of lower wing has studded door with weathered heavily-moulded frame and
cambered head, C19 single storey extension to right, west side has similar door
and 3 casements with drip mould at 1st floor. Rear has 2-light ovolo mullion
window at 1st floor in west gable, ground and 1st floor casements with drip mould
to east, with ovolo mullion at 1st floor, door to cross passage as at front,
central projecting closet block has oval bull's eye in moulded stone surround at
ground and 1st floor on each side and C20 windows on north side. Interior:
ovolo-moulded, stopped beams, ovolo-moulded door frames, panelled parlour to
west front with 3 doors with cock's head hinges in north wall, newel stair with
balustrade at top, stone fireplaces, cellar under part of house. (Sources: Hall,
Linda : Rural Houses of North Avon and South Gloucestershire 1400-1720. 1983).
Listing NGR: ST6371988048
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings