History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Winterbourne, South Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.515 / 51°30'54"N

Longitude: -2.5046 / 2°30'16"W

OS Eastings: 365078

OS Northings: 179686

OS Grid: ST650796

Mapcode National: GBR JV.HW3X

Mapcode Global: VH88H.J5RX

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 3 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128894

English Heritage Legacy ID: 35094

Location: Winterbourne, South Gloucestershire, BS36

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Winterbourne

Built-Up Area: Frampton Cotterell/Winterbourne

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Winterbourne Down

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Iron Acton

Listing Text

ST 67 NE WINTERBOURNE DOWN ROAD, Winterbourne Down'

4/37 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

G.V. II

Anglican Parish Church. 1858. G.E. Street. Rubble brought to courses,
freestone dressings and quoins, double roman tile roofs, raised coped verges,
lead clad fleches. Nave, chancel, north aisle, vestry and organ chamber,
south porch. In an Early English style. 3 bay gabled nave, 2- and 3-light
windows with plate tracery to south, 4 lancet west window, broach flecht for
bell now at west; gabled south porch with weathered coping and cusped moulded
arch; lower 2 bay gabled chancel with 2 light windows, 3 lancet east window;
gabled 2 storey vestry and organ chamber, 3 lancets to east, priests door and
4-light transmullioned window to north, pyramidal fleche, clock at east gable;
3 bay north aisle under lean-to with lancets except at east where a 4-light
taller window rises into 2 gables as a vestigial transept. Interior: arch
braced collar beam roof, chancel arch moulded from imposts up; 3-bay north
aisle has 2 full cylindrical columns with floreate capitals, pointed arches and
blank responds; in the chancel, the rear arch on a shaft of a south window is
also a double sedilia, east window has double shafts in front of 3 very widely
spaced lancets. South window by J.F. Bentley, 1876. (Source: D. Verey:
"Buildings of England : Gloucestershire : The Vale and The Forest of Dean"
1970).


Listing NGR: ST6507879686

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.