History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rock House

A Grade II Listed Building in Aust, South Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5962 / 51°35'46"N

Longitude: -2.5773 / 2°34'38"W

OS Eastings: 360104

OS Northings: 188748

OS Grid: ST601887

Mapcode National: GBR JR.BNDH

Mapcode Global: VH882.84TQ

Entry Name: Rock House

Listing Date: 21 October 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1128896

English Heritage Legacy ID: 35200

Location: Aust, South Gloucestershire, BS35

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Aust

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Elberton

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Alveston

Listing Text


ST 68 NW AUST ELBERTON

8/98 Rock House
21.10.52
G.V. II

House. C16, with C17 and later alterations and additions. Rubble, coursed at
front, random elsewhere, plain tiled roof with weathered external gable stacks,
hexagonal ashlar chimneys with coping and decorative frieze. Former open hall
with 2 cross wings forming U-plan. 2½ storeys, 3 gables to front, 1:1:1
windows, all 3 and 4-light casements with chamfered lintels and mullions,
relieving arches over, door to right of centre has freestone surround with
4-centred arch, scroll and hollow moulding with straight-cut stops, heavy
studded door with strap hinges, C20 porch, inner gable to each side wing with
3-light window at 1st floor; west side has 2 gables with 3-light window at
ground and 1st floor to left, as on front, east side has single gable, with
2-light and single light window at 1st floor, C20 window to ground floor, all
under timber lintels. Rear has 3 gables, 1:2:2 windows, all 2 and 3-light
casements as on front but without relieving arch outer gables have single light
window with chamfered lintel, former door to cellar to right, now blocked,
cellar window with chamfered lintel, single storey C20 extension with door.
Interior: window mullions ovolo-moulded on inside with elaborate catches each
decorated with 3 spirals, hall fireplace has wooden bolection moulded surround,
shortened to accommodate C20 stair; kitchen beam has deep chamfers, fireplace
with C18 stone surround brought from house in Bristol; back door to hall in
ovolo moulded wooden frame with flat, scroll and notch stops; panelled doors.
(Sources: Hall, Linda : Rural Houses of North Avon and South Gloucestershire
1400-1720. 1983).


Listing NGR: ST6010488748

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.