This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3911 / 51°23'27"N
Longitude: -2.7774 / 2°46'38"W
OS Eastings: 346007
OS Northings: 166065
OS Grid: ST460660
Mapcode National: GBR JH.RL2B
Mapcode Global: VH7CG.T92G
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 20 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1129095
English Heritage Legacy ID: 33686
Location: Cleeve, North Somerset, BS49
County: North Somerset
Civil Parish: Cleeve
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
CLEEVE C.P. MAIN ROAD (north west side)
ST 46 NE
6/21 Church of Holy Trinity
Parish church. 1840 by Manners of Bath. Random rubble, limestone dressings,
slate roofs with raised coped verges and kneelers, pyramidal roof to tower.
Nave, north and south transepts, crossing tower and chancel. Neo-Norman style.
3-bay nave has 3 recessed bays to south and north, each with round-headed single
light, cill string and continuous hood mould across recesses, plinth and corbels
to recesses; round-headed west door, shafts with scalloped capitals to sides,
double doors with raised fillets and decorative ironwork, string course from
imposts, plinth, 2-light window above set in recess with similar jamb-shafts,
corbelled cill string and upper string, Lombard frieze to gable end. North and
south transepts, each single bay, have 2-light window in gable end, cill and
upper string, lancet above, plinth and corbels returned to sides. 2-stage
tower has large 2-light window at upper stage all sides, with jamb shafts and
central shaft, double round-moulded heads to lights and triple-moulded head
overall, scalloped bell-louvres in upper sections, plain below with pierced
crosses, cill string and string course from relieving arches, tower has shafts at
corners and limestone quoins, corbelled cornice and weathervane. Single bay
chancel has 2-light east window set in recess with plain mullion and surround,
single light to each side, cill string and continuous hood mould, lancet above,
corbels and cross finial; lean-to to north has east light with cill string and
door; porch for priest's door to south has door, string course and east light;
attached to north C20 single storey addition for church room. Interior: nave
has rib-vaulted plaster ceiling in 3 bays with bosses at junctions, ribs rising
from demi-shafts with varied carved capitals and corbels; quadruple shafts to
sides support roll-moulded arch to tower crossing, similar vaulting throughout,
tower vault meets at central circle with 3 cherubs' heads, chancel ceiling in
3 bays. 5 clustered shafts north and south support chancel arch, with 2 central
chevronned capitals forming triple arch, central opening taller, under main
chancel arch; doors to north and south of chancel with jamb-shafts, reredos with
corbels and diamond frieze. Fittings: octagonal stone pulpit in nave with
wooden rails in form of Norman columns with Lombard frieze; font in nave, square
with scalloped bowl and cable-moulded edge. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings
of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958).
Listing NGR: ST4600766065
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings