History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nailsea Court

A Grade I Listed Building in Nailsea, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4102 / 51°24'36"N

Longitude: -2.782 / 2°46'55"W

OS Eastings: 345710

OS Northings: 168201

OS Grid: ST457682

Mapcode National: GBR JG.QJXK

Mapcode Global: VH7C8.QTN9

Entry Name: Nailsea Court

Listing Date: 13 October 1952

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129104

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33712

Location: Nailsea, North Somerset, BS48

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Nailsea

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Brockley

Listing Text

NAILSEA C.P. -
ST 46 NE
6/47 Nailsea Court
13.10.52
G.V. I

House. 4 periods of building, C15, C16 (perhaps 2 phases), later C17 or
c.1700, and the reconstruction of the west wing and other alterations by
Arthur Stratton from 1910. Rubble, roughcast, limestone dressings and
pantiled roofs to east, stone tiled to west, with raised coped verges and ball
finials to gables, stone stacks with caps. Main range with wing to north east
and wing to south west, early C20 kitchens and domestic offices along west
elevation. 3 storeys, south front has 4 bays, all gabled with projecting
3-storey gabled porch 2nd from left; 2 bays to right have 4-light windows with
4-centred heads to lights, moulded mullions and hood moulds, leaded lights
(most windows of this kind) at ground and first floor, similar 3-light window
in each gable, lead rainwater heads, bay to left has 2 wooden mullion and
transom windows at ground floor, two 32-pane sashes of early C18 at first floor
in exposed boxes and 2-light stone casement with ovolo mullion and hood mould,
lintel string at ground and first floor; porch has 4-centred arched door opening,
studded door with raised fillets and strap hinges, frieze with Greek fret
carving, dentilled cornice, oriel above with 2-light ovolo mullion casement to
front and single light to each side, 2-light ovolo-moulded casement above and
breather in gable end. East side of south wing has 3 gabled bays, bay to
right set forward slightly with diagonal buttress; bay to left has
4-light similar window at ground and first floor, 3-light at 2nd floor,
single round-headed light with hood mould at ground and first floor right;
central bay has pointed arched stone doorway with moulded surround, door with
raised fillets and strap hinges, single light to right, 4-light window at first
floor and 3-light at 2nd floor, trefoil in each gable; bay to right has 3-light
window at first and 2nd floor, 3-light casement with ovolo mullions at ground
floor. South elevation of south wing has 2 gabled bays, to right of Stratton's
work; to right a canted bay through 2 storeys, 5-light ground floor window with
transom, single light to each side, similar window above without transom, stone
stepped roof, similar 3-light window at 2nd floor and trefoil; gable to left has
4-light window at ground and first floor and 3-light at 2nd floor and trefoil,
re-set bronze sundial to left dated 1663 with inscription "vivat Carolus
Secundus". West elevation has blocked 4-centred arched opening with 2-light
ovolo casement inset, 2-light roll-moulded casement at first floor, parapet and
coping and small hipped 2-light dormer; to left, kitchen wings, have at right
side hipped roof over 2-storey block with stone 2-light cusped window set on wall
at ground floor, 2-light window above and single light to side, front gable has
4-light window at ground and first floor, 3-light at 2nd floor, 2-light window
under eaves to right. Single storey block set in angle to left, 2 gable ends to
left central gable has 2-light window with ogee lights, flat head and hood mould
at first and 2nd floor; gable to left, set back, has 3-light roll-moulded
window at first floor and 3-light window at 2nd floor, small addition set in
angle between; ashlar stack to left, external stack at central gable end. East
elevation has 3 uneven gabled bays, to left with 4-light window at ground and
first floor, 3-light at 2nd floor, small oval bull's eye at ground floor right,
single light above; central bay has 4-centred arched blocked door, main windows
as at bay to left, bay to right the same. Rear has gable end to left with attic
lancet, inner side of north east wing has 2-storey addition with 8-pane sash to
outer side; inner side has 2 stone cross windows at ground floor with ovolo
mullion and transom and relieving arch, 4-centred arched door between with raised
fillets and strap hinges, first floor has 2-light roll-moulded casement and
2-light wooden casement, two 2-light dormers with hipped roofs. Rear of main
range has 4 bays, narrow gabled bay to left with door and sidelight, small
opening above, first floor 3-light window and 2nd floor 2-light; 2 central bays
have at ground floor 2 wooden mullion and transom windows, two 32-pane sashes in
exposed boxes under eaves (lighting upper floor of hall), 2 buttresses and stack
to left; bay to right has 2-light cellar opening, 5-light window with relieving
arch at ground floor, 4-light at first floor and 3-light at 2nd floor, straight
joint to left. Attached to right, rear of kitchen wing has 3-light window and
3-light casement with ovolo mullions at ground floor, single light and 3-light
casement under eaves, lead rainwater head dated 1669 (re-set) and stack.
Interior: the Langford Room in the south wing has many brought-in features,
including panelling from no. 18 Fore Street, Taunton, over-mantel from Upper
Langford Court, fine plaster ceiling from Ashley Manor, Bristol and carved
frieze, stained glass including sundial. Window to west of main range has
mediaeval stained glass including picture of swan ringing a bell, as at Bishop's
Palace, Wells. Dining room door, c.1590, the "Nailsea door" has large arcaded
upper panel with elaborate carving on both sides. Hall has framed ceiling in
6 bays with chamfered and stopped beams, stone fireplace. Many other internal
features, including late C17 staircase with moulded strings and handrail and
twisted balusters, stone doorways and fireplaces, panelling of late C16
character; for further details see sources. Nailsea Court was the birthplace
in 1551 of Richard Perceval, who is said to have translated the captured Spanish
documents which gave warning of the preparation of the Armada. In 1698 the
Court passed to Major Nathaniel Wade, who is said to have been concerned in the
Rye House Plot and who took part in the Monmouth Rebellion.
(Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958.
Robinson, W.J. : West Country Manors 1930. Country Life vol. XXXII, p. 890.
Bath and District branch of Somerset Archaeological Society Proceedings 1911).


Listing NGR: ST4571068201

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.