History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Quiricus and St Julietta

A Grade I Listed Building in Tickenham, North Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4394 / 51°26'21"N

Longitude: -2.7815 / 2°46'53"W

OS Eastings: 345775

OS Northings: 171446

OS Grid: ST457714

Mapcode National: GBR JG.NK21

Mapcode Global: VH7C8.Q2WW

Entry Name: Church of St Quiricus and St Julietta

Listing Date: 11 October 1961

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129121

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33759

Location: Tickenham, North Somerset, BS21

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Tickenham

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Nailsea

Listing Text

TICKENHAM C.P. CHURCH LANE (north side)
ST 47 SE
4/96 Church of St. Quiricus and St.
11.l0.6l Julietta
G.V. I
Parish church. C11 origin, nave and chancel extended by aisles and south chapel
in early C13, also south porch, south chapel probably rebuilt c.1300, south aisle
west window and north aisle windows mid C14, C15 alterations and C19 restoration.
Limestone rubble, tower and south chapel in sandstone rubble, east end of south
aisle and lower west part of tower in limestone ashlar, limestone dressings and
parapets, slate roofs with raised coped verges and cross finials. Mostly
Decorated style, some Perpendicular. West tower, nave, north and south aisles,
north vestry, south porch, chancel and south chapel. 3-stage tower has west
door with pointed arch, wave and hollow-moulded surround with hood mould, 4-light
Perpendicular west window with pointed arch, fine tracery and continuous hood
mould, 2nd stage has cusped single light with hood mould to north and south,
similar blind 2-light opening to west, 3rd stage has 2-light window with
Perpendicular tracery and stone bell louvres to all sides with hood mould and
mask stops, below window to east a pointed arched recess with moulded head and
hood mould; cornice and gargoyles including anthropophagus to east, blank-
arcaded cusped parapet, embattled, with central Perpendicular image niche with
ogee hood and crocketed pinnacles, crocketed pinnacles to corners; north east
octagonal stair turret with lancets and similar parapet, spire with crocketed
ribs, ball finial and weathervane; plinth, string courses, weathered diagonal
buttresses. 4-bay south aisle has tall narrow 2-light west window with trefoil
heads, quatrefoil above and hood mould, south elevation has from left 3-light
Perpendicular window with flat head, hood mould and relieving arch (restored C19),
similar early 2-light window and pointed arched 3-light Perpendicular window with
hood mould and mask stops, parapet and blank cusped arcade. 2nd bay from left
has gabled porch with trefoil-headed opening, hollow-moulded surround, jamb-
shafts with chevrons on capitals, sundial at apex of gable, gnomon missing.
4-bay north aisle has 3-light Perpendicular east window with hood mould,
limestone quoins, tall trefoil-headed east lancet; along north elevation a
similar lancet to right, two 2-light windows with cusped heads, reticulated upper
tracery, square heads and hood mould; gabled vestry attached at 2nd bay from
left, with door and single trefoil-headed light to east, similar 2-light west
window with hood mould, small flat-roofed addition with door and single light.
Small ashlar sanctus bellcote of C19 on east gable of nave. Chancel has 3-light
east window with wide trefoil heads and upper tracery, plain reveal, two 2-light
north windows with trefoil heads. South chapel has taller 3-light east window
with relieving arch of stepped cusped lancet lights, similar smaller 2-light
south window with quatrefoil in upper tracery cusped lancet to left, both with
relieving arch. Interior: tower has pointed segmental arch to west door,
pointed arched chamfered door to stair tower, heavy door with raised fillets,
C19 framed ceiling in 9 panels, tall pointed tower arch with 2 broad wave
mouldings. Nave has 6-bay wagon roof, ceiled with moulded ribs, carved bosses
and brattished wall-plate, ridge purlin and one row of purlins; north and south
walls cut through for aisles, forming north arcade of 3 pointed chamfered arches
with carved stops at bases, 3-bay similar south arcade has east pier with
2 shafts with stiff-leaf capitals carved at west face, carved image stand on east
side of north arcade; chancel arch, c.1100, plain round-headed with simple
imposts, segmental-headed opening for former rood stair at upper level to right,
small lancet (squint) to left. North aisle has 5-bay roof as in nave but of C19
construction, west lancet has irregular pointed rere-arch, wall stepped back
above outer curve of stair tower, possibly indicating alteration of original
roof-line, 2 windows to east have segmental-headed rere-arches, lancet to west
with pointed rere-arch, piscina to east. South aisle has 5-bay roof of very
shallow pitch, mostly C19 construction with arched-braces rising from stone mask
corbels (one pair replaced in wood), principal rafters, one row of purlins and
ridge purlin, along south wall 2 windows to west have cambered rere-arches,
central window has recess in cill with remains of quatrefoil piscina, south door
in plain pointed arched reveal. Vestry of C19. Porch has C19 arched-brace and
collar roof, inner door has roll-moulding and chamfer, pointed arch, hood mould
and mask stops, 2 consecration crosses on jamb to right, small image niche above,
holy water stoup to right with octagonal bowl, stone benches to sides. Chancel
has 4-bay wagon roof with moulded ribs of C19, rear of rood stair extends wall
masonry to south of arch, recess to north possibly for former squint, north
windows have segmental rere-arches, pointed arched piscina to east, 2 similar
arches cut through south wall to chapel. Chapel also has masonry extending
around roof stair, 4-bay wagon roof of early construction with fine bosses,
restored cusped piscina on south wall, pointed rere-arches to windows; was
formerly the Bave Chapel after the Bave family of Barrow Court (q.v.).
Fittings: font in south aisle of c.1300, a square bowl with blank trefoiled
pointed arch-heads, central shaft and four slimmer Purbeck shafts. Hexagonal
Jacobean carved wooden pulpit in nave. Royal Arms over chancel arch. Chancel
altar and chapel altar supported by columns of Elton ware, gift of Sir Edmund
Elton, 1895. Oak screen across south chapel of 1911. Row of 3 effigies in
north aisle, 2 knights, one of c. 1240-50, the other cross-legged later C13, and
a lady of c.1300. Monument in south chapel, with Ionic pilasters, pediment,
shield over and cherub below, to Samuel Bave, undated, by M. Sidnell of Bristol,
active early C18; C18 ledger stones in chapel and early C19 ledger stones in
nave, also possible matrix of brass; marble monument in porch to John Hillyard,
1842, by J. Thomas of Bristol. Small early C14 stained glass figures of Christ
Crucified and Christ in Majesty in south aisle, also later C14 fragments in north
aisle windows. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset
and Bristol 1958).


Listing NGR: ST4577471449

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.