History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade I Listed Building in Weston-in-Gordano, North Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4641 / 51°27'50"N

Longitude: -2.802 / 2°48'7"W

OS Eastings: 344380

OS Northings: 174209

OS Grid: ST443742

Mapcode National: GBR JF.LZXC

Mapcode Global: VH7C2.DG1G

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 11 October 1961

Last Amended: 20 January 1986

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1129139

English Heritage Legacy ID: 33798

Location: Weston-in-Gordano, North Somerset, BS20

County: North Somerset

Civil Parish: Weston-in-Gordano

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Portishead

Listing Text

WESTON-IN-GORDANO C.P. HIGH STREET (south side)
ST 47 SW
3/135 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul
11.10.61
G.V. I
Parish church. Tower and porch c.1300, otherwise C15, chapel mentioned in a
will of 1536, C19 restorations of various dates. Tower and chapel in rubble
with limestone dressings, rest in squared limestone freestone with limestone
dressings, plain tiled roofs, slate pyramidal roof to tower, slate roof to porch
and chapel with raised coped verges. Nave, south porch, south tower, chancel
and south chapel. Early English style tower and porch, rest Perpendicular.
4-bay nave has 3 pointed arched 2-light windows, Perpendicular, to north, 2nd bay
from west has round-headed door with step and hollow mouldings and hood mould,
heavy studded door with wide strap hinges, wooden corbelled eaves; 3-light
similar west window with hood mould, cross finial; to south, similar 2-light
window and single trefoil-headed light to right of porch with flat hood mould;
plinth and stone bellcote with cusped openings. Gabled porch has pointed arched
opening of 2 chamfered orders with hood mould, trefoil-headed lancet over, line
of former roof to sides on nave wall and external wall of stair to right; small
single storey addition between porch and tower. 4-stage tower has 2-light
pointed arched south window with Y-tracery and hood mould, pointed arched lancet
at 3rd stage all sides, and 2-light pointed arched bell-openings at 4th stage
with wooden louvres and hood mould; string courses, corbelled at 4th stage,
parapet and coping, cross finial. 2-bay chancel has 5-light Perpendicular east
window with pointed arch, cusped heads restored and hood mould, quatrefoil in
gable and cross finial; 3-light south window with flat head and hood mould
partially obscured by chapel, 2 similar 3-light north windows with continuous
hood mould of Cl9 restoration. One-bay chapel has 3-light window similar to
chapel to east and south, without hood mould to south because under eaves,
pointed arched blocked lancet above east window, south priest's door with pointed
arch, moulded surround with 2 hollow chamfers, hood mould with mask stops.
Interior: nave has common, rafter roof with arched-braces, collars and brattished
wall-plate, mostly C19 with some re-used timbers, particularly moulded collar
purlin with 6 bosses forming 5 bays and moulding attached to arched-braces
dividing bays, principal arched-braces and collar purlin painted; convex-moulded
rere-arches to all windows, segmental-headed arch to north door (blocked), plain
stone pulpit set in south wall with 3 steps and pointed segmental-headed opening,
pointed stepped chamfered arch to tower, inner arch replaced in C20 stone,
piscina to west of arch and upper rood door above piscina with projecting stone
at cill, image stand with foliate underside to north of chancel arch, wide
pointed chancel arch has wave mouldings and hollow chamfer; image niche with
trefoil head beside south door to porch, rere-arch as to north door, pointed
arched doorway has mouldings as on chancel arch, hood mould, heavy studded door
with wide strap hinges. Porch has C19 common rafter roof with collars and
brattished wall-plate, stone benches to sides, ogee-headed chamfered doorway to
stone stair to parvise, wooden gallery across top of inner door with brattished
top and panelled underside in 16 panels; Perpendicular image niche above door
with painting, deep reveal to lancet in outer gable, possible holy water stoup
recess to right, now blocked, inner architrave of outer door of 2 chamfered
orders. Tower has ceiling with 4 chamfered beams, probably re-used, with
mortices, 5 steps up to door to rood loft with segmental head, 4-centred arched
chamfered opening to south chapel with mortices, possible for draw - bar to
former door, set in larger pointed arched opening, probably altered when south
chapel added. Chancel considerably restored in C19 has cambered moulded rere-
arches to north and south windows, continuing the moulding on jamb shafts, cill
string north, south and east, east window has similar mouldings around pointed
arch, heavy limestone cornice; pointed arched piscina, mostly C19 restoration to
south, pointed arch to chapel has wave and hollow mouldings and jamb shafts,
polygonal bases to shafts. Chapel has C19 common rafter and collar roof,
2 image stands on east wall with foliate underside to left, 2 plain aumbries in
south wall, segmental-headed south priest's door with 2 narrow convex mouldings,
similar jamb shafts to south window. Fittings: Norman font in nave, a square
bowl with scalloped sides on circular stem. Wooden pulpit in nave with 3 sides
of C17 carved panels. Plain pews with lozenge-shaped poppy-heads; fine choir
stalls in chancel with 8 misericords showing a peacock, foliage and human heads.
C19 wooden Perpendicular style screen across chancel arch. In north wall of
nave, fine Perpendicular tomb to Rychards Percyvale, 1483, with ogee crocketed
hood, crocketed pinnacles, brattished top and cusped panels along front, recess
above with 3 angels in haut-relief, shield of arms above canopy and grate with
wrought iron railings and spear tops; marble tablet in chapel, to Henry Pyne,
1825, by Post of Bristol. C15 fragments of stained glass in east and south
windows of chapel showing figures of angels, some with musical instruments.
(Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958).


Listing NGR: ST4437874211

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.